Apeks DIN to yolk conversion question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone please point me to the place where I can purchase a Yoke connector / A Clamp for Apeks (I have DS4) ? Thanks.

Thanks. But this is exactly the problem. I don't want a converter. I want a part that is being changed when you choose to buy your regulator with DIN or Yoke connection type.

Is it the inlet fitting, yoke and yoke screw that you're wanting? Good luck finding one. Have you checked a dive shop?

Thanks. But this is exactly the problem. I don't want a converter. I want a part that is being changed when you choose to buy your regulator with DIN or Yoke connection type.
Is it the inlet fitting, yoke and yoke screw that you're wanting? Good luck finding one. Have you checked a dive shop?
@primus2: Any authorized Apeks/Aqualung dealer should be able to order the necessary pieces for making the conversion from DIN to yoke. Some dealers might charge a modest labor fee for doing the conversion once the parts are delivered. Some might do the conversion for free. The procedure takes just a couple of minutes. If you hang onto the conversion parts until your next overhaul, the reg tech should be able to install the yoke pieces for free.

There's also the DIY route. With the right tools and minimal knowledge, converting from DIN to yoke or vice versa is a piece of cake.

I've got 2 in my toolbox. I'll post one to you if you post the DIN fitting back to me.

Now that I am older, retired, and diving tropical away from my cold water home
more often, I am more concerned about this possibility:

My LDS guy tells me that he has actually seen parts fail (wear out) on regs such as my Apeks whose first stage
had been converted back and forth from DIN to Yoke many times. He didn't quantify how many times
it would take but he claims to have seen it.

Though I own both the DIN and Yoke Apeks parts, I'm considering trying a converter instead for
this reason.

Now that I am older, retired, and diving tropical away from my cold water home
more often, I am more concerned about this possibility:

My LDS guy tells me that he has actually seen parts fail (wear out) on regs such as my Apeks whose first stage
had been converted back and forth from DIN to Yoke many times. He didn't quantify how many times
it would take but he claims to have seen it.

Though I own both the DIN and Yoke Apeks parts, I'm considering trying a converter instead for
this reason.

Sound like nonsense. You take the assembly off be it yoke or DIN every service. Of cause if those who do it do not have proper tools an know what they are doing tgey can damage the reg or threads, or do not tighten it properly it will fail like any other device.

Sound like nonsense. You take the assembly off be it yoke or DIN every service. Of cause if those who do it do not have proper tools ....

I'm not dismissing what you're saying because it wouldn't be the first time that a dive shop told me nonsense.
However, let me point out: the "service" you mention would normally be done to the assembly once a year for me
(in a world where I don't travel to dive in the tropics anymore), and we're
comparing that to attaching the DIN to Yoke adapter, which goes on in the same way as the DIN 1st
stage screwed into a tank; something that happens perhaps 50 times in a good diving year for me. Now if one
tells me that the threads/o-rings/torque/etc are effectively the same in both connections, then I'm totally sold on
your argument (and the DIN to Yoke adapter is a No Sale since I already own both the Yoke & DIN assemblies).

Here are the few thoughts I would like to share:
The clamp(or screw for DIN) is not that easy to come across in the US, but if you look in the right place the Apeks clamp(Yoke) fairly easily can be found in Europe, as most of the tanks there are DINs and usually shops would have YOKE clamps unused. Friend of my have one and offered to send it to me. Here is why I decided it is not worth it:
1) Unscrewing YOKE (as mentioned above) requires a special tool and procedure. First you need a special wrench with thin walls that can fit inside the clamp (the DIN part comes off with a help of a hex).
2) Actual process is not a "field" job. Tightening to a torque is not as important (however important) as actually tightening it. It is not easy to do on laps and much easier when the 1st stage is in a vise.
3) The same goal is very easily achieved with DIN to Yoke adapter. And the only disadvantage is slightly larger size of a 1st stage.
In my opinion someone would do such a thing if he has in his possession certain number of tanks with valves of both types and under certain circumstances (like seasonal dive location) switches from one to another.
P.S. I bought DIN to YOKE Adapter, but something tells me I won't be using it very often.
Thanks to everyone who participated.

Back
Top Bottom