OT- Any divers from the Jupiter area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm flying in friday to check out the job and the area. Hope it all works out. Would love to be that close to awesome diving all the time.
Regards,
Doug
Let us know what you think of this little piece of heaven (as Perry Como used to call it. He used to live in Jupiter Inlet Colony.)

That's not Jupiter. It's unincorporated County. A lot of federal dollars Poured in there in the form of CDBG grants. It much improved over the past 25 Years.

That's not Jupiter. It's unincorporated County. A lot of federal dollars Poured in there in the form of CDBG grants. It much improved over the past 25 Years.

While technically not Jupiter, most people would probably call this area Jupiter, though it is just over the border in very north end of unincorporated Palm Beach County. I had a friend that lived back in that area and I would not have said that it seemed particularly dangerous or nasty. In fact, there are some really expensive houses just a bit north off of Island Way. Sad and bad stuff can probably happen just about anywhere: though is seems like these sorts of occurrences usually happen late at night (2 AM in this case). I work downtown West Palm Beach on Datura St. and Clematis St (one block north of my office) is a great place for grabbing a bite to eat or having a beverage. A buddy of mine lives in a condo, near my office, between Evernia and Datura on Narcissus; however, just a couple of years ago, some guy was killed right out side my office and half a block from my buddy's condo near the corner of Narcosis and Datura at 2 or 3:00 AM after a drug deal went bad at a night club located between Clamatis and Datura on Narcissus. I arrived at work the next day and looked out the window at chalk lines (actually, more like a temporary florescent paint) and blood stains. At about 9:00AM, a fire crew housed down the area. It was a weird experience, but I don't feel unsafe on Clematis or Datura even though there was a violent death steps from my office entrance.

I'm not sure the point I'm trying to make, I suppose it is simply that bad things can happen almost anywhere.

Ok, crime is everywhere! Richard Kreusler was shot dead in the entrance to his Palm Beach home many years ago too! Jupiter is safe, are there areas that I don't choose to go to? Absolutely, but that holds true for just about any area in the world right now. As far as diving, I firmly believe that we have the best diving in the continental U.S. here PERIOD. I love it here, I dive with Jupiter Dive Center and it is also, the best run operation around. If you are lucky enough to get a good job in this area, take it. If you don't end up liking it here, which is entirely possible, you will have at least experienced some excellent diving!

personally, i would be looking to live nort of Jupiter. less crowded and more rural. I'm up in Vero Beach which is very small town (along with decent local diving). Little crime....no crowds, no traffic....this is paradise.
and i'm 40 minutes away from awesome dives out of Jupiter.

40 minutes? How fast are you driving? It is 45 minutes to get from (near) JDC to the Ft. Pierce exit for SR70.....Vero is another 10 miles up the road. Semantics, I know....but gotta give the guy a realistic view of drive times.

I'm there with Timmy, Sportster and Chip.
I worked in Ft. Pierce for 2 years. It was an hour commute. But I suppose part of that has to do with the fact that I live by the beach in Jupiter and worked off Federal in FP

I don't know why Eric felt it necessary to mention that shooting unless it was to bust my balls for the heaven comment. :). Jupiter PD is tops in IMO. I know and work with many of the cops including the Chief. I've watched them train. They have state of the art equipment and gear. MP-5's, M-4's, dogs ((including a sweet bloodhound named Sherlock), communications, dive gear (Scubapro), mobile command center and more. They are like the deterent presented by our US nukes during the cold war.

Because we have very little violent crime in Jupiter city limits. Last hold up I recall was about 4 years ago. Some thugs from Broward jumped off I-95 and robbed a check cashing business. The cops had 2 of 4 within something like 20 minutes. The other 2 were apprehended within the next hour or so between the dogs and the chopper. We had 2 murders in the last 3 years. Both were domestic and both perpetrators were not living here. We had an abduction which occurred on Federal property which again was was perpetrated by people who don't live here on somebody they knew from a school not in this town. There may be more, but the fact that I can't recall, speaks volumes I hope.
And...I'm with Chip. Jupiter has the best diving (can't say continental US, because I have not dived all the continental US) in Florida. This might spark a debate among Dan Volker, Wookie and others :). I think all will agree however that Jupiter Dive Center IS the best around.

Thanks for all the good info. There are always bad areas somewhere in a town but knowing where that area is helps. I did some drift diving including a night dive off singer island a while back along with beach dives at LBTS so I know how good the diving can be. I was wondering how bad traffic is around that area. Hope the weather is nice this weekend.
Regards,
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom