Life gets in the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy,

Been pondering and following your post and thread since you initiated it.

Probably the best post I have ever read on SB.Hope you don't mind if I "nominate" it.

Don't want to get too deep here, but it is philosphically a post about being a responsible member of society.

I feel I could go on with boring personal anecdotes and such. But will leave it at that!

See ya in a few weeks.

Dave.

Wow, Dave. Thanks. That's humbling, indeed.

Randy,

Been pondering and following your post and thread since you initiated it.

Probably the best post I have ever read on SB.Hope you don't mind if I "nominate" it.

Don't want to get too deep here, but it is philosphically a post about being a responsible member of society.

I feel I could go on with boring personal anecdotes and such. But will leave it at that!

See ya in a few weeks.

Dave.

As I read through the posts on here, and think about the friends I have made through scuba diving, I have to say that the Meet and Greets that this group put on every year is a big part of it. (SHAMELESS PLUG: If you aren't aware, check out the top sticky thread about the M&G)

As a diver and now instructor, I see to many new divers who show the enthusiasm for diving. They are so excited throughout their open water certification. They are amazed at the new underwater world that they can now experience. However, statistics generally show that for many of these divers, the will not continue in the hobby/sport. The biggest reason is they don't seem to make the connection with other divers and dive groups. Its the friendship and camaraderie that keeps the individuals drive going.

I know there are a lot of dive groups out there, but I truly think the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew is one of the best. I don't know of any other group that is so open to all levels and types of divers. It is always fun to see new faces at the Meet and Greet and how welcome everyone makes the new faces feel. Don't have a buddy, no problem! There are always buddies and groups diving and everyone is welcome. The topside and fireside discussions are some of the most memorable times.

I don't think I would have become so addicted (yup its truly and addition for me) to diving if it wasn't for the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew and all the amazing people. In a few weeks we will all be getting back together for our spring Meet and Greet. These events are at the top of my list in terms of great diving experiences. For anyone who is reading this thread who hasn't been at one, I would HIGHLY recommend attending. We may not have coral, beautiful fish, shear walls, or warm water. But, we have some of the best people and friends a person could ever have, and that trumps everything else!

I forgot to mention. I'm from Ohio too. Born and raised in a little fart of a farm town in the southwest corner called Harrison.

I forgot to mention. I'm from Ohio too. Born and raised in a little fart of a farm town in the southwest corner called Harrison.

So when are you going to come dive with us at Gilboa or White Star?! :wink: Heck, come dive with me at Blue Springs, Hidden Paradise, or Natural Springs in Eastern IN/Western OH. They're closer to Harrison!!

So when are you going to come dive with us at Gilboa or White Star?! :wink: Heck, come dive with me at Blue Springs, Hidden Paradise, or Natural Springs in Eastern IN/Western OH. They're closer to Harrison!!

Thanks for the offer. I have two sisters there and try to make it every couple years. I'm off to the Philippines in May to see grandkids this year. I'll let you know. I guess I'll have to bring my 3 mm and my 1.5 mm over the top to keep warm? I'm not used to the cold water.

Thanks for the offer. I have two sisters there and try to make it every couple years. I'm off to the Philippines in May to see grandkids this year. I'll let you know. I guess I'll have to bring my 3 mm and my 1.5 mm over the top to keep warm? I'm not used to the cold water.

It depends. From mid-July through mid-Aug, shallow quarries like Hidden Paradise and Natural Springs are about 80 F top to bottom. If it's March, that's a different story!

Well said, Bone.

I have found new divers don't want to try the big cold quarries.

Hell, I used to be one of em.

But if they tried it and met a few buds, they would be hooked. And become better divers as well.

I encourage local diving. A few new divers who have joined me have had a great time.

Thanks for starting a great thread Randy. I too cherish my GLWC brethren. I have also been lucky to expand my dive buddies to include a large crew of Florida divers (from the Keys, Jupiter, Cave Country and parts in between) and as well as the Truth/D2D (Aquatics) gang for West Coast diving.

For me, the camaraderieie is as big a deal as the diving, no matter where I am.

Last edited:
Rendy (and all),

What a wonderful thread! There have been years I've had over 50 hours underwater and years I've struggled to get in 5 dives. I've been fortunate enough to travel to several wonderful exotic locales warm and cold. & I've spent countless hours in the local lakes and quarries. But the treasures I most cherish are my dive buddies. Many are no longer diving or on a baby / kid hiatus but we are still close. Wouldn't give them up for anything!

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom