Vacation with non diver: Turks & Caicos? Where to stay & with whom to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEArrington

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to plan a vacation with a nondiver, but I need to get some diving in before I turn to dust. I'm considering Turks & Caicos because some dive friends rave about it, but I'm unsure. I'm looking for a destination that is new to me and offers something for the nondiver to do at a decent resort (not a dive resort). I prefer boat diving in warm water. I love wrecks and I'm used to tons of fish and colorful coral. So here are the questions:
  • Does Turks & Caicos seem like a good option for a diver & a nondiver to have a vacation while sneaking in some decent bottom time?
  • Where should we stay? We don't want to stay with the young loud drunk crowd or screaming kids. We want to relax and eat a romantic dinner at a nice restaurant, and maybe go to the spa.
  • What is the best dive operator for me? I need a decent boat that I can do a giant stride off of with a sturdy ladder to get back up, but not a cattle boat with 40 people crammed on it. A place with safe operations and equipment in good shape, with knowledgable DMs. Nitrox preferred.
Thanks all for your thoughts.

When we went, my gf was not yet certified. We stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort. I would stay there again. Food is very expensive, their 3 course prix-fixe menu was delicious and affordable. Rooms were nice. There are other restaurants within walking distance if you want something else, but after the first night we are at the resort's restaurant. As good as the food was, we no reason to go elsewhere.

I used both Flamingo Divers and Dive Provo. Between the two you would like Flamingo better. Small boat, great service, pick-up at the hotel, and they'll take you out to West Caicos.

Caicos Adventures "Dream Day Getaway" is a must and something you can both enjoy. My pics in the Members gallery are from that trip.

It sounds like Provo (the main island in the Caicos) could be a great option for you. I strongly recommend Caicos Adventures for diving. I dove with them for a week a few years ago, including my checkout dives for my OW certification, and had a great experience. The diving was fantastic, beautiful coral and an incredible array of sea life. I agree Royal West Indies is fine, I also stayed there, and the highlight of the place for me was definitely the delicious restaurant. Royal West Indies was fine, but there are a variety of very high-end places as well that people generally like very much. Also, Provo is also a great spot for a nondiver. The beaches are beautiful.

The restaurant you both refer to at RWI was called Mango Reef and it is no longer there. It moved to the Alexandra last year.

I'll second Caicos Adventures for diving. Cleanest head on any boat in the Caribbean :)
A fantastic place to stay, not cheap (or sometimes even reasonable), is Point Grace. The 5pm happy hour with 2 free drinks and heavy gourmet hors d'oeuvres is not to be missed. Different food every day and bartender Pete's Rum Punch is a fine libation. Dinner at Grace's Cottage at Point Grace must be experienced at least once during a stay. Coco Bistro is another favorite: if they have fresh catch tuna sashimi/tartare, order it! Best I've ever had. Walk the beach and stop at almost any restaurant for a good lunch. We liked Hemingway's and Mango Reef. My wife always wanted to walk along the beach, day or night. She loves the feel of the sand there.
Diving was walls and coral heads. For wrecks, I'd go with Grand Cayman, but the non-diver would not have as nice a beach or restaurants. Snorkler would like Grand Cayman more.

I'm trying to plan a vacation with a nondiver, but I need to get some diving in before I turn to dust. I'm considering Turks & Caicos because some dive friends rave about it, but I'm unsure. I'm looking for a destination that is new to me and offers something for the nondiver to do at a decent resort (not a dive resort). I prefer boat diving in warm water. I love wrecks and I'm used to tons of fish and colorful coral. So here are the questions:
  • Does Turks & Caicos seem like a good option for a diver & a nondiver to have a vacation while sneaking in some decent bottom time?
  • Where should we stay? We don't want to stay with the young loud drunk crowd or screaming kids. We want to relax and eat a romantic dinner at a nice restaurant, and maybe go to the spa.
  • What is the best dive operator for me? I need a decent boat that I can do a giant stride off of with a sturdy ladder to get back up, but not a cattle boat with 40 people crammed on it. A place with safe operations and equipment in good shape, with knowledgable DMs. Nitrox preferred.
Thanks all for your thoughts.
Excellent beach, very good diving!

Many places to stay to meet your needs.

perfect dive OP for you.

PM me for specifics.

Another vote for Caicos Adventures. Asa is normally the Captain unless FiFi is on the boat. Asa is large and may look imposing, but he is a pussycat and very friendly. Tell him Robert and Laurie said hello.

Flamingo is next to Caicos Adventures, and although I have partied with their DM's, as well as every other DM on the island, I have never dove with them.

I would also recommend renting kayaks from Big Blue down at Windward. Take a camera. Kayak over to the Iguana preserve, and then down to the next cove. Then you can walk over to a secluded beach, and beach comb. Then back across and through all the mangroves. Lots of creatures everywhere, and a fun and quiet half day.

WOW - I thought I posted this in my sleep - the story is way too similar!

We are booked to Turks in 8 days :cool2:! Can't wait! We had the same issue (non-diver vs location) and have had several friends recommend Turks based on non-diving experiences. As we were planning the trip, I asked my LDS owner if he had been there and he about melted - it is one of his top 5 spots to go. He also recommended Caicos Adventures strongly - if for nothing else, the platform for diving (catamaran) is the best. He couldn't stop talking about how well Fifi and his crew were! I'll let ya know how it goes!

I would NOT recommend the Turks & Caicos for traveling with a non-diver. Especially not Provo. Reason being is that unless you are diving the reef right of Grace Bay most of the other dive sites are quite a ways from shore. This results in the morning two tank trips not returning to port until the 2:00 - 3:00pm time frame. Does your non-diving travel companion really want to be alone all day while you are out diving?

......... Does your non-diving travel companion really want to be alone all day while you are out diving?
The solution is that we are traveling with three other couples who are non-divers. While her attention is diverted, I will go SPLASH!! Seriously - this was a big part of the discussions prior to my getting into the sport and she just needs a beach, a book and a beverage to tide her over until I return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom