My stay last week at The Blue Angel Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also love BA and would not stay anywhere else. Glad you love it, too! The traffic noise is not a problem. There is a speed bump on the street in front of the hotel, so cars slow down and speed up, but traffic really slows down at night.

So how do you rate my Mares Wide on the conservative liberal scale?

I have a Mares computer (M2) and I've found it to be more conservative than most, but less than a Suunto. I have found it to be particularly conservative in comparison to other divers' computers on repetitive dives. It still gives me plenty of dive time if I manage the multi-level well, but towards the end of a week of diving there are times I end up with 3-5 min NDL left and head up 5-10 feet to keep diving. I'm not sure if that is true for all Mares computers, but I believe they all use the same deco model.

I think they have already ordered new computers. So many divers fall for that more conservative BS - usually just a unreasonable penalty, then end up ignoring them.

I dive Oceanics, same company, and while they are considered more liberal - no more so than all the agencies' tables. I am careful to stay on the SS until I am back into the green or safe zone tho, not ascending in the yellow or caution zone. It's also important for new owners to learn their computers well. :wink:

Some say they've noticed but I don't think it's bad. Just turn the fan on.

Dangit... I skimmed that too fast. I wonder what computers they ended up getting? I've been told that Suunto is one of the most conservative on the market.

I have a Mares computer (M2) and I've found it to be more conservative than most, but less than a Suunto. I have found it to be particularly conservative in comparison to other divers' computers on repetitive dives. It still gives me plenty of dive time if I manage the multi-level well, but towards the end of a week of diving there are times I end up with 3-5 min NDL left and head up 5-10 feet to keep diving. I'm not sure if that is true for all Mares computers, but I believe they all use the same deco model.

That is me too. Then I get the darn thing in deco and it is VERY particular about where to stop. Like 15 is good for a reg safety stop, but it wants like 10 feet to clear the deco I think. I have been using more Nitrox to compensate. That and swimming with my MARES on my wrist held above my head.... I always look like I want to ask a question...

This trip will be our first with redundant computers. I got some used Aladdin Prime 3s in our consoles. It will be interesting to see this time how they compare.

"I always look like I want to ask a question..."

That cracks me up.

That is me too. Then I get the darn thing in deco and it is VERY particular about where to stop. Like 15 is good for a reg safety stop, but it wants like 10 feet to clear the deco I think. I have been using more Nitrox to compensate. That and swimming with my MARES on my wrist held above my head.... I always look like I want to ask a question...

This trip will be our first with redundant computers. I got some used Aladdin Prime 3s in our consoles. It will be interesting to see this time how they compare.

On my M2 the SS depth is set between 16.5 feet and 8 feet, and you can't change it...if you drop below 16.5 feet it stops counting down...I spend a lot of safety stops with my hand raised just like that so the countdown doesn't get interrupted..I get a lot of interesting looks :D

I am really happy with my Oceanic computers, and the company as well. When one of us ruins one, which has happened a coupe of time - our fault, but even out of warranty the company has a cheap replacement program.

I also love what the new owners have done with the BA. I liked it fine at the Caribe Blu but the improvement and changes have been impressive, even tho they lost the floor animals.

Great place for couples anyway. Too pricey for me as a solo traveler, or for two guys wanting private rooms.

On my M2 the SS depth is set between 16.5 feet and 8 feet, and you can't change it...if you drop below 16.5 feet it stops counting down...I spend a lot of safety stops with my hand raised just like that so the countdown doesn't get interrupted..I get a lot of interesting looks :D

Oh, yea I slip a little off in the safety stop and then get the "Let me see your computer cuz you your three minutes should be up if you stayed at the right level" look. But if you trip it into deco mode the range is ALOT narrower than that. It seems like 9-11 feet or something. In deco mine is always beeping up a little, down a little up a little....

Trying to keep it out of deco I am doing the end of the dive 5-10 feet above the nitrox crew with my hand up like a moron for the last 10-15 minutes.
I thought about tying it to my safety sausage and sending it up 15 feet or so, but that seem like *too* much cheating.....

Last time though I was doing well enough that I traded the 100AL air for a 80AL nitrox. I was able to keep up on air consumption and no deco issues. Or swimming around looking for someone to answer my question issues...

At least he didn't hijack a dinner thread talking about lunch on post #2. :silly:

If you know anyone thinking about buy a dive computer, I really suggest buying Oceanic or similar liberal with the options to dial in more conservative if desired, along with adding optional beep warnings, nitrox, and downloading...
I thought about tying it to my safety sausage and sending it up 15 feet or so, but that seem like *too* much cheating.....
Kinda like the ones who send their computers down on a line from the boat to complete deco. :no:

WE have used Oceanic dive computers since 1995 and usually give them to our computer less divers so that the whole group is on the same/ or nearly the same level. Ours see many multiples of dives more than any one divers recreational computer and they stand up pretty well--and when they don't Oceanic honors a 5 year warranty.

We chose Oceanic because they use a modified Spencer algorithm which was, and maybe still is in the middle of conservative vs liberal offerings--and extremely easy to use. We also ask our divers to add conservatism by getting no closer than 5 minutes to the deco limit when using the Oceanic computer.

The bottom line is that we/I highly recommend Oceanic Dive Computers.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom