New twin set rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you should re-read what I posted. Firstly I implied that the inflator hose might be too long, and pointed out that there are three lengths available. This is based on my own experience with my OMS wing doubles wing which I changed from the factory 19" to the optional 16" hose. Then I shared my own experiences and opinions on the harness with respect to small boat diving, which happen to differ from your own.

I'm not telling Joel what he should do or has to do, or that he's "gunna die" if he doesn't do what I do... So maybe before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about & make assumptions about how I dive, you should take your own advice

Have a nice day

Maybe you should re-read what I posted
Ahh yes I should have read your posts AND your signature line
"You may not agree with everything I say but at the very least you'll come to understand that your differing opinion is wrong"

I'm not telling Joel what he should do or has to do, or that he's "gunna die" if he doesn't do what I do
Didn't say you where, I was referring to post # 24
and your comment
It's a running joke.
How is it a joke to tell divers they are going to die? Like I said just poor form !!

sense_of_humor-762713.jpg

"You may not agree with everything I say but at the very least you'll come to understand that your differing opinion is wrong"

It's a quote from Steven Colbert. A comedian. In other words, it's a joke; tongue in cheek

How is it a joke to tell divers they are going to die? Like I said just poor form !!

You've been on scubaboard for 9 years, I would imagine you're familiar with the "YOU'RE GUNNA DIE" running joke/cliche better than me. If not, you can click on the other part of my signature

Meanwhile, don't shoot the messenger

Mods, with the OP having been shunned and maybe run off and the topics of discussion running wild, I would suggest we close this one out. It has strayed beyond the limits of wow.

How is it a joke to tell divers they are going to die?

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. There is presently no accepted method for textually indicating irony, though an irony (punctuation) mark has been proposed.

Ironic statements (verbal irony) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony may be deliberately created as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality. Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth — or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.

In dramatic irony, the author causes a character to speak or act erroneously, out of ignorance of some portion of the truth of which the audience is aware. In other words, the audience knows the character is making a mistake, even as the character is making it. This technique highlights the importance of a particular truth by portraying a person who is strikingly unaware of it.

Modern theories of rhetoric distinguish among verbal, dramatic and situational irony.
  • Verbal irony is a disparity of expression and intention: when a speaker says one thing but means another, or when a literal meaning is contrary to its intended effect. An example of this is when someone says "Oh, that's beautiful", when what they mean (probably conveyed by their tone) is they find "that" quite ugly.
  • Dramatic irony is a disparity of awareness between actor and observer: when words and actions possess a significance that the listener or audience understands, but the speaker or character does not, for example when a character says to another "I'll see you tomorrow!" when the audience (but not the character) knows that the character will die before morning.
  • Situational irony is the disparity of intention and result: when the result of an action is contrary to the desired or expected effect. Being "shot with one's own gun", or "hoisted with one's own petard" are popular formulations of the basic idea of situational irony. Cosmic irony is disparity between human desires and the harsh realities of the outside world. By some definitions, situational irony and cosmic irony are not irony at all.

According to A glossary of literary terms by Abrams and Hartman,

Verbal irony
is a statement in which the meaning that a speaker employs is sharply different from the meaning that is ostensibly expressed. The ironic statement usually involves the explicit expression of one attitude or evaluation, but with indications in the overall speech-situation that the speaker intends a very different, and often opposite, attitude or evaluation.[9]

The psychologist Martin, in The psychology of humour, is quite clear that irony is where “the literal meaning is opposite to the intended”; and sarcasm is “aggressive humor that pokes fun”.[10] He has the following examples: For irony he uses the statement "What a nice day" when it is raining. For sarcasm, he cites Winston Churchill who, when told by a lady that he was drunk, said "my dear, you are ugly ... but tomorrow I shall be sober", as being sarcastic, while not saying the opposite of what is intended.

Psychology researchers Lee and Katz (1998) have addressed the issue directly. They found that ridicule is an important aspect of sarcasm, but not of verbal irony in general. By this account, sarcasm is a particular kind of personal criticism leveled against a person or group of persons that incorporates verbal irony. For example, a woman reports to her friend that rather than going to a medical doctor to treat her cancer, she has decided to see a spiritual healer instead. In response her friend says sarcastically, "Oh, brilliant, what an ingenious idea, that's really going to cure you." The friend could have also replied with any number of ironic expressions that should not be labeled as sarcasm exactly, but still have many shared elements with sarcasm.

Most instances of verbal irony are labeled by research subjects as sarcastic, suggesting that the term sarcasm is more widely used than its technical definition suggests it should be (Bryant & Fox Tree, 2002; Gibbs, 2000). Some psycholinguistic theorists (e.g., Gibbs, 2000) suggest that sarcasm ("Great idea!", "I hear they do fine work."), hyperbole ("That's the best idea I have heard in years!"), understatement ("Sure, what the hell, it's only cancer..."), rhetorical questions ("What, does your spirit have cancer?"), double entendre ("I'll bet if you do that, you'll be communing with spirits in no time...") and jocularity ("Get them to fix your bad back while you're at it.") should all be considered forms of verbal irony. The differences between these tropes can be quite subtle, and relate to typical emotional reactions of listeners, and the rhetorical goals of the speakers. Regardless of the various ways theorists categorize figurative language types, people in conversation are attempting to decode speaker intentions and discourse goals, and are not generally identifying, by name, the kinds of tropes used (Leggitt & Gibbs, 2000).

References/Source: Wikipedia

1. Irony

Person 1: "I use split fins!"
Person 2: "You are going to die!"

2. Sarcasm

Person 1: "I use Spare Air!"
Person 2: "You are a bloody idiot!"

3. Arrogance

Person 1: "I use air at 130ft!"
Person 2: "That is inconsistent with my training and/or beliefs. You are wrong!"

4. Observation

Person 1: "I use a 19" Inflator Hose!"
Person 2: "If you did a technical wreck penetration,the excess hose length will cause it to hang down below your body when in horizontal trim. It is thus more likely to get entangled in your guideline. An entanglement like this could lead to increased stress and, if not dealt with expediently, consequent complications; such as silt-out, lost/broken/cut guide-line, and/or over-staying your dive plan - resulting in gas depletion before exit or incomplete deco. Any of these complications, if not skilfully resolved, could kill you."

Joel, enjoy your new gear and good luck on your course :) I have almost the same set up though with an OMS wing rather than a Zeagle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom