Are you a sharer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am definitely a sharer, as is my wife and dive buddy Debbie. Every buddy team should have a constant awareness of each other as the dive proceeds. It basic safety and it's just good manners. I would not want to dive any other way. For those of you who chase off after things, or aren't "good buddies" learn while laughing reading "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette" available at amazon.com or bn.com.
DivemasterDennis

Sharer, it's great to share memories with buddies. Reliving particularly spectacular dives shared with buddies on the surface is priceless. Weeks and months later it's still thrilling to recant the dives.

Sharer and soloist. Love time alone with my camera, but also love guiding and sharing on dives.

Well, when diving the Red Sea and coming across a nudi, my first thought was, "Where's Lynne?"
Me to buddy: Look, nudi! You stay, I'm going over there to get Lynne.

LOL.. Yeah, I think I am a sharer.
Kinda like this? - "Consider your self shared to" :p

(Ras Um Sid 2011-06-19)

When I'm with students or newer divers, I'm strongly on the sharing side. They don't know how to see the amazing things that are down there (out of Panama City, FL, almost all the cool stuff is tiny and the rest hides well), and I have great fun watching their eyes light up. I consider it part of my duty (and a very enjoyable part) to be sure to share enough of what each of them is interested in that they go back to work on Monday beaming and blathering incessantly about the great time they had. :biggrin:

When I'm diving solo (deco for the soul, to me at least), sharing would be the last thing on my mind -- if only I'd add it to the list. Those dives are my opportunity to just *be*. I don't even bring a little video camera along, as I would be thinking about what to share with everyone via video. Every so often, I'll see something amazing that I'd have liked to record, but I settle for just enjoying it thoroughly and telling the stories afterward.

When I'm diving with just mb, I'm somewhere in between. I'll just mosey along the dive not really *hunting* for things to share, just enjoying the view and being underwater. However, when I *do* see something cool that I know she will enjoy, my sharing circuit activates. (It has a very efficient sleep mode, apparently, where it exists completely unnoticed, but it also has virtually zero wake-up delay.) Diving with just mb is wonderful, as it combines the relaxation of my solo dives with the eyes-lighting-up of my sharing dives. (Now, if anyone knows where to get a deal on a drysuit, she would be grateful -- hers just doesn't fit, and I want to do more cold-water/weather sharing dives. :D)

I suppose my default mode when diving the first time with others is medium-high sharing with ongoing adjustments based on the apparent level of engagement of the other divers. I tend to play to the audience, so if they seem bored or interested elsewhere, that's fine with me (I have a nice "quiet observer" mode available). If they're practically Goa'uld (well, Tok'ra, I should hope), we'll have a great time mutually sharing (even a first-salty-dive student can find things to point out if you give them a good start).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom