Painting tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterwade

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for advice on painting some steel tanks. What is the best way to prep the tanks and what kind of paint should I use?
One suggestion I have had is to use a wire wheel on an angle grinder and to a two part epoxy paint. Any other ideas or suggestions? Or Concerns?

If it were me, i think i would sand blast the cylinder, clean it, have it tested and powder coat it.

I have heard that there is a new lower temperature Powder Coating system but our local shop didn’t know the cure temperature or how durable it is. The estimate was between $100-$200 per cylinder depending on prep work for standard powder coating.

Normal powder coating cures at 200°C/390°F for 10 minutes. I have been advised by industrial cylinder suppliers that this temperature is high enough to effect steel cylinder heat treating. I would check with the cylinder manufacturer for maximum temperature exposure since it is process and alloy dependent, if I were willing to spend that much on the coating.

I painted my steel 72 because last hydro they noted it needed to be painted. It was a horror. I wet sanded the tank leaving a lot of the paint on it because the best primer is old paint. With the tank hanging I applied 7 coats of Rust-oleum primer wet sanding between each coat then 3 coats of Rust-oleum paint again wet sanding each coat then 5 coats of clear wet sanding all.
I put a mesh protector on it to ......protect it.

Reactions: Jax
Soda blast it then coat it with POR-15 and the POR-15 top coat to protect it from the UV, I use this paint on parts for my LOCOST Super 7 and the stuff is simply awesome :D

Por-15 is excellant stuff!

Maybe I'm naive, but all I do with my steel 72s is wet sand the cylinder, give it one or two coats of galvanizing spray paint, then one or two coats of a spray top coat. No heat, easy to do, and the cylinders look great.

Back
Top Bottom