What do you think???

To fly or not to fly that is the question.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot everyone.

You all have given me a lot to think about. The scenario that I posted before would be a worst case. Most of my local diving don't exceed 30' and are only 1 tank dives so I won't be pushing the tables at all. Also it will be more like 12 to 18 hours between diving and flying.

That having been said Levigarret you bring up some very good points. I will not be the PIC but ATC in this area pretty well leaves the local pilots to themselves. The commercial traffic around here stay above 6'000 until they are on approach so locals stick around 3'000. I am also gonna take your advice on DAN and I will probably hit you up with some questions.

Thanks a lot everyone.

You all have given me a lot to think about. The scenario that I posted before would be a worst case. Most of my local diving don't exceed 30' and are only 1 tank dives so I won't be pushing the tables at all. Also it will be more like 12 to 18 hours between diving and flying.

That having been said Levigarret you bring up some very good points. I will not be the PIC but ATC in this area pretty well leaves the local pilots to themselves. The commercial traffic around here stay above 6'000 until they are on approach so locals stick around 3'000. I am also gonna take your advice on DAN and I will probably hit you up with some questions.

I'm happy to chat with you when and if you decide you'd like some advice. Take care.

My Gut feeling is a "no fly" vote (which I did) simply because you give no idea of dive time, and how close to the NDL you will be.

Now, I would say that if you maxed out on single tanks of Nitrox (a good EANx36 for example, with a MOD of 28m / 92ft) then I would be tempted to go for it, based on the fact for most people on this type of Nitrox then you run out of gas a very very long time before you reach anything like a NDL. If you plan on not being close to the NDL on air, you will be even further away on Nitrox.

Sorry if my "off the top of my head" nitrox and metre/feet conversions are not quite right.

J

You have a wealth of input in the foregoing posts. As a Colorodan I can tell you driving from high to really high altitude after diving is a part of our life. Driving and the "slow ascent" it entails is the reason it is safe once a proper interval passes. As to flying, your altitude change will be quite rapid, so the risks, though low, are greater. May I suggest you plan your flight training and diving on different days? Both activities are intense and carry high risk if proper safety procedures are not followed. So while you can "probably do it," I think you should read drbill's post three times more before you decide.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Since you are asking it you are probably outside of your comfort zone with these two tasks when done together so I would say don't do it... (at least don't do both)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom