Question for Zeagle BC Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And it doesn't always work out this way,but the fact that Zeagle is an American company and stands behind it's products, goes out of it's way to accommodate it's customers, and supports our soliders and out Veterans makes it all extra rewarding for me personally

I have been bouncing back and forth between BC's myself. Being a vet myself, this thread has sealed it for me. I will be buying a Zeagle if I am able. Any company that is willing to make a custom fit piece of equipment at no extra charge for a disabled veteran and employs Americans, I will gladly support!

on a side note for those who are interested...

While Zeagles do have the ripcord system I have seen a few Zeagles that have the "surelock" style weights as well.

Seems that is the biggest complaint I hear about Zeagles is the ripcord. Not too sure why no one seems to like it, but I personally love it.

While Zeagles do have the ripcord system I have seen a few Zeagles that have the "surelock" style weights as well.

Seems that is the biggest complaint I hear about Zeagles is the ripcord. Not too sure why no one seems to like it, but I personally love it.

Doc - Yeah on their webpage they show it and it looks pretty nice. Not for me but nice.

CWhite6 - I'm feeling the same way my man. Over the top and above expectations.

So I looked at the Stiletto and that may work. Based on my planned potential path, and maybe in time getting into deep wreck (a little tech maybe), will this still be the best setup idea, or should I look at maybe a more tech set up fro, the start with a BP/W setup with a custom zip installed for weights from Mr. Zeagle?

Thoughts?

Thanks

i dont know if people actually hate the ripcord or if they just hate rethreading it. I like how simple it is and that it will probably never fail, but it seems like a very cheap design (weedeater line) and rethreading seems like it can possibly be a headache

I honestly dont see the need to go BP/W when you have a Zeagle.

The reason I say that is that most Zeagles will (with the purchase of an extra piece or two) run doubles in any configuration you can with a BP/W.

They are also just as interchangeable as a BP/W, wherein you can change the amount of lift and even in most cases the shape of the bladder. Change the straps and add extra accessories, etc.

This means (as a DiveCon/Instructor/DM) most shops I know will not allow BP/Ws to be worn by shop staff during OW classes. However if you just own a Zeagle with the dual adapter you can change out the same BC in seconds and not have to purchase a second (or third or fourth) BC for your "fun" dives.

Although from what I am seeing the Stilleto does not seem to have the mounting holes for doubles. I could be wrong about that though...

I know for a fact that the SAR, 911, and Ranger have the doubles adapter holes. Not sure about other units though...

i dont know if people actually hate the ripcord or if they just hate rethreading it. I like how simple it is and that it will probably never fail, but it seems like a very cheap design (weedeater line) and rethreading seems like it can possibly be a headache

The response I usually get is either that it is easy for your "dive buddy" to "screw" with you and pull it out underwater. (my LDS has a lot of people that like to play practical jokes and such on each other, though I am sure no one would remove weights from someone intentionally). Or that it is likely to get snagged on something and pull your weights out that way.

The good thing about the way the ripcord is setup and the weight pockets is that I can lose my weight regardless of orientation in the water column. Vertical, upside down horizontal, on my back. It just doesnt matter.

This adds extra piece of mind, although it will be unlikely that I will have to use it in all those different orientations.

Part of the reason I DO like the ripcord is the simplicity. Some integrated BCs I have seen require you to "unlock" the weight pouches in one direction then pull them out from the other direction, then hold them away from your body. Seems like a bunch of headache and a step or two to forget when the poo hits the spinning metal device.

Zeagles however are positioned so the weight is more on the hips (instead of on front with the aqualung BCs I have come in contact with). This means the weights wont "hit your fins" while they are dropping away and you dont have to do the zombie march with them to get them away from you.

It just works.

Exactly my thoughts. I like the peace of mind that the rip cord WILL work when I need it to work, and that the process can be accomplished in 1 easy step v. the alternative. And again, it doesn't sound like an issue now with 2 working mitts, but take one away and then try to do it during an emergency and maybe not.

I may need that valuable extra few moments as everything I will have to do is really only going to be getting done with 1 and 1/12 working hands.

I think I would start out with the Stiletto BC, with the customized rip cord pull on the right side.

If you decide to go more techie later, and do doubles, etc. then I would look at the backplate and wing set up...which is also available with a ripcord system...

But I would certainly take your time and get comfortable with the Stiletto and diving in general first.

Best of luck!

Scott

I think I would start out with the Stiletto BC, with the customized rip cord pull on the right side.

If you decide to go more techie later, and do doubles, etc. then I would look at the backplate and wing set up...which is also available with a ripcord system...

But I would certainly take your time and get comfortable with the Stiletto and diving in general first.

Best of luck!

Scott

Sounds like GREAT advice Sir. Thank you again for ALL of your help.

If it is possible, and not too far away from Miami, would it be possible to come see Zeagle and work on all the details and the customization there?

I'd love to make a trip of it.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom