Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today, 2 dives on Sheikh Mohamemed's Barge, and the Crane platform next to it, around 15 miles off shore from Dubai.

Maximum depth - 24m
Air temperature 44c
Water temperature (bottom) 34c like bath water.
Visibility - 7m
Mild to moderate current.

Didn't see too much, a few angel fish, some Gobi's , a couple schools of barracuda and a few nudibranches.

It was 47 deg C (117F) when we got back according to my car temp gauge.

Took my new Zeagle Stiletto, and Aeris Ion out for their maiden voyage. I consider it money well spent.

I used Atlantis Dive Center.

-Byron

Last edited:
Dove the MV Dara on the 16th, off the coast of Umm Al Quain.

17m depth, current and visibility sucked but I did manage to get this pic of a sea feather on my first dive.
DSCF0272.jpg

The Second dive was absolutely horrible with strong rapid and unpredictable currents, 4M vis. This dive was spent dodging sea urchins and sharp objects while being swept along like a piece of drift wood.

I did get some practice deploying my SMB though......

Basically I will not dive here again, and in about 20 years this wreck will not exist any more since its falling apart big time. Oh also note for any who may wish to dive here, BRING A KNIFE!!! the fishing nets and lines are all over the place and very dangerous!

To sum it up....not a fun dive the second dive. The first dive was ok, but the currents seem to shift here. The vis is bad, little sea life beyond some trigger fish and the sea feathers and urchins. It has extreme currents that will literally appear and disappear randomly. One of which carried me 100M away from my buddies and out of any type of visual contact before I was able to get free. Current took me from 19M to 12M and about 100M away from the wreck in about 30 seconds before I was able to get free of it. At this point I decided to ascend and head back to the boat as it just wasn't worth staying for me.

I used Atlantis Dive center in Dubai.

-Byron

Newport/South Beach/Yaquina Bay South Jetty - 4th & 5th Fingers

So many Black Rock Fish!!!! They followed me around, thinking I was a sealion and they were going to get the scraps. :)

A big lingcod as well. Yes, I was carrying my spear - I just didn't feel like killing anything.

Oh, and vis was 5 ft, but it was a warm 61 F.

In August I go to Monterey - Monastery Beach to dive with an old (young 25 years old) friend. When she was a undergrad student I helped her get over her fear of kelp in Oregon and now she's a doctoral student in Oceanography - she wants to take me to the real kelp forest!!!

Dove the Zainab in Dubai with Atlantis dive center to do a dive site clean up with project Aware. We cleaned up all the fish nets from the wreck and its now a great place to dive again.

28M depth, 10M vis, bath water warm water. All in all we got about 150 yards of netting all balled up and off the wreck. I love my new dive knife, and it got a heck of a work out on its maiden voyages.

I made it within 5 min of my NDL times and came up with air to spare for a change :)

-Bill

Yesterday I (we) dove Sweden's second largest lake, the 'Vättern'.
A warm but slightly rainy day and good company. So far so good, we were about to go diving witch is always great right? You know the feeling when you'r about to try something new. A new divesite is always speciall.
Everything went flawless untill we hit the water. FREEZING COLD! 8 degrees celcius in the surface...7 at bottom...You dont expect that a lake will be 10 degrees colder than the open ocean in the middle of the summer.

Besides the temperature, the diving was quite good, great vis, large rock formations and canyons but there is something missing...Absolutely no marine life. It was like diving in a surgery-room, sterile :p

Anyhow we got wet (Yes I found a leak in the groin of my drysuit..) and we had a great day.

No diving in Sydney, Australia, this weekend unless you were extremely desparate. Huge 6 - 8 m (18 to 32 feet) seas plus 150 mm (6 inches) rain in past few days. Sleep in weekend for us.

Did the last couple dives for my AOW today at Lake Wazee in Wisconsin. Water was 47°F at 70ft and 66°F at 35ft. Visibility was ~15-20ft, so pretty good if you ask me!

Dove the Savannah River in Augusta Ga. Hade a cotton mouth snake swim right under me ,was a little scarry, saw a eel catfish brim and bass great dive.

Back
Top Bottom