What is the best way to keep my long hair out of the way when scuba diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried beanies, lycra skins, etc. Nothing worked for me. One braid or ponytail didn't work with the mask strap. I just gave up and - as you can see - stuck with the two pigtails. I'm a bit old for the Pippi Longstocking look (that statement aged me in and of itself) but it is the only style that works for me. I typically redo the braids at least once a day (if not between every dive) by putting conditioner in my hair while it's wet, leaving it in, and rebraiding it.

Thanks for all the replies. Last night during our second confined water dive, the DM brought me back a piece of my hair he found it the water..LOL

by putting conditioner in my hair while it's wet, leaving it in

That's an invaluable advice. I hope that the OP would take it under serious consideration regardless of what she wants to use for hair containment.

I use two ponytails, braided, with one hair tie where they meet my head and another at the base. I've been known to put another hair tie halfway down again if I'm doing a bunch of dives. I use leavein conditioner afterwards to get my hair back into a more reasonable state.

That's an invaluable advice. I hope that the OP would take it under serious consideration regardless of what she wants to use for hair containment.

I will say that after the first pool session, I added spray leave in conditioner to my bag (along with the wide tooth comb I had taken). I was just thinking today that I needed to add "the real conditioner" to the bag. My hair felt like straw and was a matted tangled mess.:shakehead:

Oh man, I deal with this too. I have real long (down to my butt) very thick curly hair. I tried a braid, which would wrap around the valve or come undone or both. I tried a bun, which made the mask strap not fit and I felt like I was drowning. Pony tail sucks, again the wrapping around the valve and getting tangled.

The I tried something. I braid my hair. Then I fold it in half several times until it's against the bottom of my head, near my neck, and then wrap a rubber band around the middle, holding the folds together. It hangs down so it isn't in the way of the mask strap, and is pulled up tight to not wrap around anything.

I know Canada is large and I do not know my geography there but we have several Canadian dealers of ScubaDoRag products. Go to our Dealer page and if one is near you, you can try them on. We also sell online but to protect our dealers, we sell full retail and the shipping ...
http://http://www.scubadorag.com/SportDiver2010.php

Not all of our products work for everyone but we have several solutions including the Big Oh!, a headband with an "Oh"pening through which you can put your ponytail, lightweight ScubaGoodHoods, and the patented ScubaDoRag with a compartment for your hair. We suggest all natural, not-harmful-to-the-ocean mixture of aloe and coconut oil as a conditioner. We now have a forum on ScubaBoard, Scuba Do Rag. Cheers!

Its a problem and I like the others here have tried several options and use a combination of the following.

Any pony tail needs to be very low so as not to interfere with the mask strap and I use a slap strap too.

If I am involved in teaching or am diving in 'difficult' conditions then I make a very low pony tail and plait it and put the band in the bottom. I have a long fringe which isn't captured in the pony tail if I make i low so I use a clip at the top of my head to keep that in place. Am currently looking for plastic slips for that as they all go rusty.

If I am pleasure diving then I tend to make a low pony tail and leave it like that or make a low sloppy bun by just looping the band around my hair a few times.

I have seen other divers using leave in conditioner or taking their braids out at the end of the last dive and combing through conditioner which I might try but at the moment I tend to leave the braid in until I am back in the shower.
Before I started diving I never used conditioner on my hair now its costing me a fortune in the stuff:D

Oh, I forgot to mention that after I make the braids I pull them forward, over my chest, then put the wetsuit on over the top.

I know Canada is large and I do not know my geography there but we have several Canadian dealers of ScubaDoRag products. Go to our Dealer page and if one is near you, you can try them on. We also sell online but to protect our dealers, we sell full retail and the shipping ...
http://http://www.scubadorag.com/SportDiver2010.php

Not all of our products work for everyone but we have several solutions including the Big Oh!, a headband with an "Oh"pening through which you can put your ponytail, lightweight ScubaGoodHoods, and the patented ScubaDoRag with a compartment for your hair. We suggest all natural, not-harmful-to-the-ocean mixture of aloe and coconut oil as a conditioner. We now have a forum on ScubaBoard, Scuba Do Rag. Cheers!

Proper URL:

Scuba Diving Accessories | Swimming Socks | North Carolina Do Rags

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom