1st wetsuit buying advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samcraig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry for the similar/double post...

Wife and I are off to Cozumel in July and for warm (since we're going on repeated dives) and for protection - wanted to get a suit. I was leaning towards a 3mm full body.

My "real" question is - does it really come down more to comfort/personal choice on which brand to get. Are there brands to stay away from? Material I should ONLY be considering? I've seen suits ranging from $60 - a few hundred. So just looking for a little guidance as to the reality of differences vs just looking cool or being upsold on something I don't really need.

Thanks!

IMO if you're getting anything from as thin as a 4mm and below, it doesn't matter what material or brand you get. I don't think you'd be able to feel any huge perceivable difference between a 3mm dive suit and a 3mm surf suit.

I will say however, suits that tout hyperflex materials are a bit more stretchy and elastic than regular neoprene suits. So if you're a odd shaped guy who can't fit most stock suits off the rack, you can get a hyperflex type suit that is a bit tight and it will fit you comfortably. I got a "last year model" 4/3 Hyperflex (Henderson knockoff) for $70 online, works great. I use it for pool work when the air temp drops to around 55F and it's dark and rainy; still warm :D.

Other than that just find a suit that fits you and will prevent water from flowing freely through your suit.
In terms of suit style I would stay away from ankle and wrist zips . They have a tendency to come undone if your limbs are bigger than the size the manufacturer thought of.
They do make it easier to take off your suit though, so if it fits like a glove then go for it. Otherwise it's not worth the post dive leisure.

opps, double posted

Last edited:
We are headed to Coz next week. I have a 3mm Waterproof Shorty, and so does my wife. I think Waterproof makes amazing suits in all their ranges. I would highly recommend them. I am not sure a shorty would be warm enough if you are doing repeated dives, and get cold easy. I do not get cold at all, but I am used to diving in fairly chilly water in the pacific.

Waterproof is a little expensive, but if the money isn't too much of a concern I would recommend checking out their new W3 wetsuit. It is a full body 4mm suit. Lots of creature features that add extra comfort compared to a simple suit. I think you could pick one up around $220.00. It is definitely towards the higher end suit in both quality and price.

Another option, which I am taking with me this time as well, is Fourth Element Thermocline. If worn with the suit & LS Shirt it is about the same as a 4mm suit. The benefit is no added buoyancy, and a lot more comfortable than a wetsuit. However, it is a lot more expensive too.

Good luck on your gear, and have a great & safe time on your trip!

sorry, the W3 is a 3.5mm suit, not 4mm. Either way, I think it would be plenty warm enough. They tend to be warmer than most other wetsuits because of a few design features.

If you can find a Pinnacle suit in your size, that's the way to go. Check Leisurepro as well as other shops. I think Dive Right In Scuba said they just bought all the remaining Pinnacle stock. The suits are discontinued for now as they just left their distributer (Zeagle) so they are on sale everywhere. I am a size many wetsuit makers consider strange (short and fat) so I wear an XXL Short in Pinnacle suits. They have about 15 sizes when you consider almost everything comes in "short" and "tall" as well as "regular". I own a 3mm, 5mm, and a 3mm core warmer I can layer with either suit. Highly recommended!

I would not recommend buying anything online you haven't already tried on in the store, and even then support your local shop and they will be there when you really need them. There is a big difference (regardless of the thickness of the suit) in a 100$ off that bulk rack suit and a high end suit. Cozumel in the summer should see water temps above 80 degrees which is just fine for a 3mm wetsuit, I would even expect to see people in just a t-shirt and shorts but I don't dive that way.

If you have a waterproof dealer anywhere close to you stop by and see if they have any of the old Capri 3mm suits in stock, waterproof is selling these on clearance for 99$ and the shops should be honoring that price. That is a great suit and they have a ton of size options (assuming in stock) to fit just about everyone. Henderson also makes a great suit, their h2 line feels like a worn in set of jeans when it's in the water and they are so easy to get on, but they will set you back about 300$ for a new suit.

My recommendation to everyone is try on various brands and buy the one that fits you best. The 3mm should be easy to get on but there will be suits that fit you better than others. Remember that you and the wife my not dive the same wetsuit brand and that is fine.

Last year my wife and I nearly drove ourselves crazy shopping at every LDS in San Antonio area looking for wet suits that fit well. My wife finally settled on a 3mm Scubapro from our OW checkout LDS. Unbelievably that was the only one that we found that was the best fit for her. I finally gave up my hunt at the LDSs for a suit that fit me comfortably and ordered a Bare 3mm Elastek from Scuba.com. I selected the Bare because they had sizes that were not available in the ones I found locally. I ordered the large/short and was amazed that it fit like a glove. I could not have gotten a better fit if I had a suit custom made. The elasticity of the material eliminated the binding under the armpits that I found in every other suit that I tried on. I would highly recommend the Bare and my wife loves her Scubapro. Neither of us got cold diving the Caribbean in these suits.

When I dive Coz I wear swimming trunks and a rash guard. That's all you really need unless you are hyper-sensitive to temperature changes. I've noticed how uncomfortable most of the other divers are before, after and between dives with their full suits in the tropical sun.

When I dive Coz I wear swimming trunks and a rash guard. That's all you really need unless you are hyper-sensitive to temperature changes. I've noticed how uncomfortable most of the other divers are before, after and between dives with their full suits in the tropical sun.

Ditto. Especially in July the water is plenty warm with no wetsuit. I have made a dozen trips to Cozumel and never needed a wetsuit, including a couple of trips in October/November. I do dive with either a rash guard or diveskin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom