Sign language for divers

Would you learn Sign Language to use for diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I studied ASL for 2 years, I got fairly good at it, but there are very few divers who know it, so I can rarely use it as a language while diving. I do use it to communicate in a very limited basis, because I teach a little to my regular buddies and to my students. The biggest use of ASL for divers is the concept that each sign is a word and words fit together to form sentences. So many divers forget that communication is more effective using sentences.

Wouldn't it be great if our leaders saw to it that all children learned the American Sign Language in grade school? Not only would it be useful but the educators would be teaching something rather than wasting the kids' time with useless stuff like how to use crayons and face paint and singing nursery rhymes.

I see a lot of potential for a "sign" language in scuba diving but not traditional sign language because as interesting as it would be to have full conversations under water, there is just too much going on to stop and chat. I like the fact that we already have a sign type language but it would be a little easier if it was a little bit more universal. You can show a sign for a turtle that is accepted in your circle and people not familiar with your dive club could think that you were talking about changing their kick pattern. On the other hand if you dive with your buddies on a regular basis then a simple point with a finger answers 900 questions.

A couple of years ago I was on a tropical dive boat and a husband & wife dove together. He deaf, she not but was his original sign instructor, that's how they met years before. It was remarkable how they communicated underwater, and on the boat - no problem 'hearing' each other from across the boat over the noise. I would love it if this caught on in the dive world.

A couple of years ago I was on a tropical dive boat and a husband & wife dove together. He deaf, she not but was his original sign instructor, that's how they met years before. It was remarkable how they communicated underwater, and on the boat - no problem 'hearing' each other from across the boat over the noise. I would love it if this caught on in the dive world.

That is exacxtly my point!

I have studied British sign language and one of my ambitions is to use this in diving, maybe to aid deaf people to lean to dive..anyway, I was assisting on an open water course as part of my DM course and two of the students were teachers and knew ASL...I had observed them 'chatting' underwater and mentioned it to the instructor..he told them to be careful not to 'talk' about me under water as I could understand them :)

I think sign language is a great skill for anyone, regardless of the application. I have often thought it would be very useful in diving
Jo

I wouldn't learn Sign for diving. I would learn it for the sake of bettering myself. Diving has its own language, and for that purpose there is no need to learn ASL, IMO.

I have recently thought about this as I have known the alphabet in ASL since I was a kid and I can see how this could be useful to communicate with my husband underwater. I think this aspect seems do-able as it is just the hands being used however some of the signals that incorporate other parts of your body may be harder with the bulky equipment on your face and such (I agree with g1138 as well) gonna try it!

My brother was born deaf, so I have used ASL to for over 30 years. I think it's a good idea but like a few people mentioned, there can be some issues. Even though the basic signs don't change, a lot of people that use ASL have made up there own signs. It is good between a small group but I'm not sure about it's use in a broad manner such as the universal dive signs that we are taught.

Two examples....when my brother left Texas for college in Rochester, NY, I could understand him. Upon his return, it was like I talking to someone from another country. Had to have him spell everything out!

Some of the standard signs for ASL could get confusing. The sign for "lie" is a your palm flat moving across your chin, and it you want to say "lie, lie, lie" then you'd move it rapidly back and forth across your chin. Move your hand off your chin down to your throat, doing the same motion, you've now got a diver giving a signal which could look like an OOA signal!

Diver 1..."damn, out of air"....give signal to buddy using standard dive signals
Diver 2 sees Diver 1 give signal...he's calling me a liar, screw him...let that shark eat him!

I see the need for better communication in explaining what is going on, and ASL is great depending on the users knowledge. My Gf knows ASL very well and I have many deaf friends, so communicating with them is top priority. The only problem is that you or anyone cannot pick up a book a few days a week or once a week and use the skill once a year and expect to be proficient signing. My Gf is a fast finger speller and she is slow compared to a friend and he is a blur with his hands. I know to make use of ASL, SEE, or any other form one must practice and use it all the time. I know a little, but I cannot hold a conversation with friends without help, I need to lean it and practice it a lot more to make use of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom