Sign language for divers

Would you learn Sign Language to use for diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part, I really enjoy the general lack of "chatter" underwater. I know I'd HATE diving if audio communication between divers was made possible in our team. Basic communication will always be necessary, but our "standard" hand signals cover the vast majority of those situations quite well. On the rare occurrence where more linguistic detail is needed, we just pull out the wetnotes and write down what we want to communicate. Talking, however, whether through an auditory or visual modality, just isn't something I want to bring to my own diving. I'd much rather enjoy the peacefulness of the underwater realm, and then talk all about it topside once the dive is over. :)

The problem with ASL is that you need 2 hands to communicate certain meanings. If you're doing a night dive or a low viz cold water dive, you're not going to be able to
a) use 2 hands
b) find enough contrast between your hands and the environment (ie. black on black neoprene)

I think it's a nice idea though for certain situations. But one can always get by with basic hand signals and some wetnotes if need be.

I agree.
I did mark down that I would like to learn, but I do not feel it would be the most needed skill out there. There is a large list to consider first. Communicating topside pre-dive is a big on for me in this vein.

Something I like about diving is that you learn to remember for the after dive discussion, you relive the dive talking about what you saw, how you felt, the conditions, any problems encountered and photos.
The other thing is just enjoy what you see, it is no less special if you are the only one that saw it!
It's more special for me. This need to communicate ever second of the dive seems to be a desire amongst the inexperienced- insecurity, fear and the associated reassurances they like.
In our pre-dive briefings I explain where particular things hide or live and suggest that the divers do an accurate count of the different creatures or plants.
But please don't swim over to me and shake me just to point out a sea cucumber!!!!!!
If there is a whale shark swimming behind me or sea dragon hiding in a patch of weed, do it then!
It's just a waste of air really,for me it's all just monkey see, monkey do!
Basic common sense is the most important language people can have, you learn it through practical experience, not a school!

Ever had a covey of teenagers and give them slates? They wear the pencils out well before their dive is ended. It's a culture with the younger crowd....The only time they don't text is when they are asleep!

Although I would love to know sign language, I'm still a little dubious about it's use underwater. First off, it does no good if only one person knows it. Second, your buddy has to be paying attention and be able to see your hands. As often as not, they're looking the other way or vis may be very bad, especially if you have a number of divers congregated on the bottom silting things up.

At some point I'll opt for voice communications instead.

I took the SeaSigns class, which is basically a Pidgin version of ASL. Quickly realized that it's basically a language by itself and unless you're willing to invest significant time in learning, practicing and remembering it, it's not worth doing. Plus, in the meantime, I came to realize that there really isn't too much I would want to communicate underwater that I couldn't communicate with basic underwater signals.

Of course, it's great to be able to say: "Hey, there is a beautiful nudibranch with yellow dots on a dark-blue background crawling on top an empty shell," but I might as well show my buddy and let them see for themselves. If they're too far away or not paying attention, I would question my diving with them rather than learning a new language.

Before I respond to the question, it's probably a good idea to explain the basis of my point of view. I am actually legally deaf, having lost about 65% of my hearing bilaterally due to a genetic defect. It has been a gradual loss, with my first hearing aids prescribed to me when I was in my early 30's. Because of the gradual nature of my hearing loss, I learned to read lips and never felt the need to learn ASL, as I can hear some sounds and figure out the rest--I probably get about 50% of my comprehension from lip-reading. Knowing ASL would probably be of some benefit at this point, but I no longer ever wear hearing aids, and I just avoid any situations in which I'd need an interpreter.

So now, with that information, let me say that I did the Sea Signs course and I found it utterly useless for practical purposes, though it was a fun course. If it caught on and lots of people knew SeaSigns, then I'd go back and review (since I've forgotten it all), but as it is, no, I'm not really interested in sign language underwater. If it were part of my topside life and I were simply transferring that mode of communication to the underwater environment in order to talk to a buddy who also knew the language, sure. But as an additional skill, the effort of learning is far greater than the benefits it brings to underwater communication. The simple signs we all use are enough for most purposes, and when they aren't, just a word or two jotted down on a slate solves the problem much more effectively than doing a whole SeaSigns course.

I said yes, but I think I'd only do it if my regular buddy did also, which is highly doubtful. But the more I think about it, I like the quiet UW and it's not just physical quiet but mental quiet so I'm not so sure. It might be handy, but regular signs plus the occasional note on a slate does pretty well. We'd probably be better served simply reviewing normal signs including some less common ones (even if they're between us) for certain critters and stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom