Lionfish - Anecdotal Reports of some note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Sent by RTBmeDiver (View Profile: RTBmeDiver)

At CoCoView Resort (16.3N x 86.4W) on Roatan's south shore, we (the staff) have been spearing lionfish since the last quarter of 2009.

The majority of the spearing has occurred on twenty (20) core dive sites. Snappers, groupers, moray eels and lobsters have been observed, eating, wounded or dead lionfish. To date, no one diving with us has observed and/or reported, any fish, crustacean or other organism attacking a live lionfish and consuming it, on its own. In addition, no one has reported seeing any lionfish egg sacks or lionfish laying eggs in vivo.

Recently, two of our dive guides have reported seeing a moray eel and a grouper entering confined spaces where there were lionfish. These were two, separate incidents. In both cases, the lionfish fled from the assumed predator species. The predator failed to catch and consume the prey, in both incidents. Perhaps this is initial evidence, that Caribbean predators are learning to attack and eat lionfish without human intervention.

I have also heard that there are verbal reports from divers observing predator species attacking and consuming lionfish, of their own volition. These have apparently occurred in the Sandy Bay- West End Marine Reserve (RMSBWE). However, to date, to the best of my knowledge, no one has photographically documented any of these events. [FYI: The RMSBWE begins at Lawson Rock ( 86.5512 W x 16.3440N), on the north west side of Roatan; extending outward to sea and around the West End of Roatan to Key Hole ( 86.5800W x 16.2828N) on the south west side of Roatan]

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski
CoCo View Resort Roatan

-----------------------

in reference to a different author's published statement, Doc Radawski writes:

FYI: Stuart is a DJ (Captain Morgan) on Radio Roatan and also a PADI instructor and dive guide at Sueno del Mar on the West End. He is Canadian but we don't hold that against him.

Note his closing sentence, "Also we are seeing less lion fish on the dives sites since the first kill tournament."

Perhaps, we should consider setting up some other transects, besides the five (5) now in place and start doing lionfish counts.

We (CCV Staff) also think we are seeing less lionfish but the evidence is anecdotal and subjective.

He also wrote, " one grouper took a lion fish off spear spit it out to turn it around to consume it head first". This is extremely interesting to me. The groupers have evidently learned, they go down easier that way, although, I think, but am not positive, that groupers normally take their prey tail first, regardless of species.

The only picture I have seen of a Nassau Grouper eating a lionfish, shows the grouper taking the prey tail first. The lionfish in that pic looks like he is jammed in the grouper's throat. The photographer was running out of air and bottom time so we don't know how it ended. That pic was taken on a night dive in the Bahamas 2 or 3 years ago.
[/COLOR]

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski
CoCo View Resort Roatan Scuba Roatan Diving located in Roatan, Honduras diving, scuba and snorkeling.

-----------------------------------------------

Belize Marine TREC wrote:

>
> We have been spearing Lionfish almost daily since last year in Belize.
> We have offered them to snapper, grouper and morays and have
> had no success in getting these fish to consume them. When left
> on the bottom wrasses pick at them. That is our experience so far.
> Also, our limited stomach content analysis has revealed only shrimp.
>

To add some additional anecdotal data to the story:

We have just returned from Carrie Bow Caye, Belize, where we dissected 11
lionfish. Stomach contents included shrimp (many), but also included:

1 stomatopod (!) (ed~Mantis Shrimp), a small serranid (probably a hamlet?), a Harlequin bass, a
long-spined squirrelfish, and a dusky squirrelfish. We also observed an
elongate, unidentified prey fish that was ~2/3 the length of the lionfish
predator, and a small unidentified fish with a damsel-like body shape. In
both cases, the fishes were too far digested to accurately ID using crude
visual assessment.

Only 2/11 lionfish had empty stomachs. (NOTE: we did not keep track of
time-of-day killed; which is likely to have a major influence on stomach
contents). 3/11 lionfish had only shrimp in their stomachs (no fish).

We did not observe any instances of other fishes consuming or attacking
lionfish.

Sincerely,

Randi R, Peter G, Jay D, Scott J, Zach F, and Walter
F

Simple adaptation and evolution at work. Baby groupers had better adapt quickly to hungry lionfish predators and as babies with certain characteristics survive (distinctive coloring, better hiding abilities, who knows?) those characteristics will be reinforced in successive generations. Likewise, fish that survive eating lionfish will adapt/evolve to better handle their new diet. Eventually some smart fish species will realize that baby lionfish are less painful to eat and delicious to boot and will start gobbling up all the babies. The lionfish will fight back, by developing new survival strategies (maybe hiding better like they do in their natural habitats), but the balancing process will have begun, a new homeostasis will emerge. Just as the latest Rapture didn't end the world, neither will the coming of the lionfish lead to the the apocalypse of the Caribbean.

On a recent trip to Grand Bahama, a few of us were chatting about our observations concerning lionfish (my friend and I went there for the express reason of gathering more info concerning lionfish). One comment was made that fewer lionfish were being observed on many of the dive sites there than previously (implying that human hunting efforts were showing results). Another comment followed immediately, "Yes, but does that mean they aren't there, or are we just not SEEING them?"

It's a valid question. Species that are hunted learn very quickly to avoid predators. Divers have become the "predators" of lionfish on many of those dive sites, so it's reasonable to hypothesize that lionfish may simply hide when divers are in the area and resume activity when their predators leave. In that way, they could very well still be there...we just aren't seeing them.

What's really needed is a virtual presence that can record lionfish activity without "spooking" them, such as with benthic monitoring systems.

just a thought...

I just got back from a week diving in Ambergris Caye, Belize. During that time we were told, and saw for ourselves, that only Groupers in one dive site would eat dead Lionfish. The others simply ignored it. Weird behavior to be sure.

I'm not surprised some predators ignore them. Obviously the spines dissuade most fish. I just returned from Roatan where one of the divemasters told me he no longer kills them. He wounds them and blinds them. Another said he clips off the spines. Experimentation is at work. we are watching a changing environment. Somehow balance will be restored.

I'm not surprised some predators ignore them. Obviously the spines dissuade most fish. I just returned from Roatan where one of the divemasters told me he no longer kills them. He wounds them and blinds them. Another said he clips off the spines. Experimentation is at work. we are watching a changing environment. Somehow balance will be restored.

Can't say how unimpressed I am.

Either kill it, or leave it alone. Torturing an animal is just sick.

I agree. What the hell is the purpose of blinding or crippling the lionfish? Kill the damn thing or leave it alone.

Yeah, I understand the lionfish problem but there's no reason for torturing like that. IMO no different than cutting the fins off a shark and tossing it overboard.

Back
Top Bottom