diving accident in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCS is unlikey to occur immediatley on surfacing from a rapid ascent from 18m. It is common in double fatalities that the divers are so paniced during a run-away ascent that they either spit out their regs and near-drown [inhale water] or are not exhaling or not exhaling fast enough and get a lung over-expansion injury. The commonest lung inhury is arterial gas emboism [AGE] which usually results in sudden unconsciousness. Near downing can then lead to drowning , either immediately or later in the hospital, or unconsciousness in the water and so you sink.

Watching a friend lose-it and ascend underwater will make you want to help straight away. However, unless you can immediately assist and control the situation, it is always better to slowly ascend and then you can better lend assistance.

Ah, yes, sorry, strike the DCS from my post and replace with AGE. Basically, though, I'm still following the 2 theories based on whether or not the officer made it to the surface. I'm not quite sure about the suicide bit, though.

Has anyone considered equipment malfunction? Like maybe the inflator mechanism getting jammed causing the bc of the female to inflate too much?

100% agree with rickthediver. I have personally experienced a friend do a rapid acent due to panic but fortunately enough we were able control the situation. I have dived numerous times at twinrocks but never experienced strong enough current to consider as dangerous. Even at its strongest was generally considered a nice slow drift dive and its a gentle slope down to about 30 or so meters. Its always best to know the condition and the terrain of the dive site if you are going to dive without a knowledgable dive guide or a DM.

There's an email circulating from ,alledegly, one of the rescue team. The story seems consistant with the theories above. No mention however re equipment, rented, owned, malfunction

@kwhkg

do you have a copy of the email? can you pm it to me? I met the Zaldy 3 years ago during my DSD and that's the first & last time I saw him. He has his own equipment and he's very peculiar with it. I remember when he said to always take good care of your dive equipment coz your life depends on it.

I have the schedule of his wake, if anyone is interested just pm me.

Please do post it here, I am very interested on what actually happened as well.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

AGAIN... if you want to contribute to this thread, please note the special rules that apply in this forum...

Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.

Posts that do not meet this clear criteria will be deleted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom