US Divers UDS-1 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingairpilot

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I figure if anyone knows, it'll be you guys. Does anyone have any information on the UDS-1 system? I just acquired one in trade from a neighbor. He is an old (OLD) diver who at one time was president of the Underwater Society of America and has dove with all the ledgends...Cousteau, Cressi, etc. Anyway, we were talking and looking at some vintage stuff he had (camera housings, regs, tanks) and the subject of triples came up. He hauled this thing out of the closet and explained it to me. We ended up coming to an agreement on a swap and it's mine now.

I know that I won't be able to get it hydro'd due to the alloy of the Al needing an eddy test and the tanks having a goofy opening. I figure I might use it as a wall hanger in my Man Cave, or, if I open them up and vis them, I might just use a cross fill whip to pump a bit of air into the tanks and use it for pool dives when the LDS is doing scout scuba classes. If my Aquamaster freaks the local instructor out, this thing will blow her freaking mind.

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used one of these. My buddy Sonny LOVED IT. BTW, he is of the opinion that the DH reg was inferior to the single and he can't for the life of him figure out why I have an interest when all this modern stuff if available. It's a sickness I guess.

ka

ka,

Are you talking about this?

UDS1bal.jpg

I have a UDS-1 system, and have dived it extensively (go to my avitar and click on my name). The UDS-1 had three things going against it:

--It was somewhat buoyant at the top, and so would pull away from your back when diving it. I put two three-pound bullet weights up there, and it rode nicely after that.

--The harness was designed in France, and the waist strap came at about the hips or lower on some people. It is actually, harness-wise, set up to use without a waist strap. Put that buckle on the weight belt, and use the crotch strap tied into the weight belt buckle (like the Cousteau divers did), and that problem is solved.

--The maintenance on this is difficult. It typically takes me almost an hour to break it down, and putting it back together takes almost as long.

--The filler attachment had a problem, in that it invariably leaked. The one-way valve doesn't work too well. I finally took off that wheel the filler attachment went to, and attached a plugged gauge to it. I took off the gauge--a regular gauge, not SPG, and then simple used it as the means of plugging the line.

Did I say three things wrong? I meant four things wrong.

Saying that, why dive the UDS-1? Simply put, it is a dream breathing machine. The valves have super-wide openings. The first stage is integrated into the valve, so there is no hole to go through to get to the regulator first stage. You can breath it down to zero on the SPG, and have about 1-2 breaths left with no breathing resistance. Here's a photo of parts of the valve:

UDS-1Manifoldreserveend-1.jpg

UDS-1manifoldreserveend1.jpg

It also hugs your back in a current, and is very streamlined (after adding the weight to the top). It is also very comfortable in the water.

Now, about the hydro testing--these can still be hydro tested. I have had mine tested numerous times. So that is still possible. Break the unit down yourself, and then take the cylinders to a hydro facility if you want them hydroed. I have the owner's manual on a PDF; if you want to PM me with an e-mail address I can send it.

SeaRat

I'll do that, but I'm curious, how do you get around the eddy current test? It's my understanding that the tanks must be eddy current tested, however, no one has a fitting for the 1 inch tank threads. I'd love to dive this thing but I just don't see how this is possible.

ka

I'll ask my LDS when I take the tanks in for hydro next week. I have a problem with my filler hose, in that it has a fitting at the filler end that broke. So I need to get that repaired to dive them again, and I'm about due on the hydro so I'll get both done soon. Mine have been hydroed twice now by me, once in 9/2001 and again in 7/2006.

SeaRat

If you call Mark Gresham (General Manager of PSI-PCI) he may be able to help you. If I recall correctly, Mark told me a couple of years ago that he either had or had access to a one inch eddy current probe for those tanks.

You may have to ship the tanks to be tested, but you should only need to do that once every 5 years.

John, in your case I think you are fairly close to Mark (PSI-PCI). They are in Washington State.

If you are going to use them at all, I would do a very careful visual inspection of the threads at least once a year. The eddy current is a requirement and it is a good test, but I personally have more faith on a very careful visual inspection with a high magnification inspection lens. IMHO a very careful inspection with high magnification is one of the best ways of early detection of cracks.

If I had old (6351) aluminum tanks that I wanted to continue to use, I would either own an magnifying inspection tool (and know how to use it) or have a good relation with an LDS that would let me inspect my tanks (in addition to them inspecting them as if needed).

This is the tool my LDS has and it works great with a 4x magnification of the threads.

opticalPlus.jpg

They are expensive, that is why I don’t own one, but my LDS lets me use it.
Note, I don’t have any 6351 aluminum tanks in service anymore.

Optical Plus - $330.00 : PSI Cylinders, Professional Scuba Inspectors

The only other issue/ consideration with investing on servicing this cylinder set is that you have three cylinders; therefore there are three times as many chances of one having a crack on the neck. And, if any one of the cylinders is bad, the entire set up is unusable.

There is no way of telling what the failure rate is for these cylinders, since they were very few of them made.

Good luck

Last edited:
I'm afraid that this set is going to become a wallhanger...dammit. The cost to get it up and running, coupled with the fact that most diveshops in my area refuse to fill older Al tanks even WITH the eddy-current test makes me think it's just not worth it. Perhaps I'll pull the system apart, have a look at the tanks, and then just use a cross fill whip to pump a little air in and give it a shallow pool experience. It's a shame too. this looks like such a cool setup. Why couldn't they have used STEEL tanks...or tanks that had a standard neck size...ie: replaceable. Oh well...I guess had they done that, the system might have been more widely used, more accepted, and still in production...oh, and not so valuable.

ka

Some pics of the UDS system. More pics after I finish training, move, unpack, rest, have a beer, etc in the next 3 months

Attachments

• P5030049.jpg
    P5030049.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 266
  • P5030048.jpg
    P5030048.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 285
  • P5030052.jpg
    P5030052.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 275
  • P5030051.jpg
    P5030051.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 235
I have a UDS-1 but just the shells.You can rig other tanks in it to fit if you like.Like:cool2: double 40's ect.It would look cool to dive.It wouldn't be original but who cares.

I have a manifold from that system for sale $150.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 191
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom