Pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms

Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
I would not take a chance on breathing on a pnuematic hose to my understanding these hoses have a coating of oil inside the hoses the rubber on the inside also tend to break down small amount of these particles my get into your lungs its not worth trying to save a few bucks a 50-100 ft hose is cheaper than a lung transplant or a removal that my .02cents

I still haven't found a Grade E hose without spending a fortune...any suggestions?

Pnumatic hose is designed to use the small amounts of oil in the air from compressors to keep the inside of the hose lubed and flexible... the dry oil and moisture free air form SCUBA tanks will cause the inside to dry and crack.

Pnumatic hose is designed to use the small amounts of oil in the air from compressors to keep the inside of the hose lubed and flexible... the dry oil and moisture free air form SCUBA tanks will cause the inside to dry and crack.
That is not the reason pneumatic tool hose is not safe to breathe from.

I my experience with hookah, we just ran 25-30' of l.p. line coming off of the first stage. One would think if you ran 30' why not 50', and, you can. just be prepared to take the tank with you if you go deeper than 33' because the l.p. line chokes and is hard to draw if your tank is still in the first atmosphere.(when it's getting near empty, also it'll start to become positive and float) I would imagine, not that I've tried, that the same principle would parallel tool air hose, that stuff wasn't engineered to be used under more than one atmosphere of pressure, nor was it designed to be used in conjunction with air intended for breathing. Also in an umbilical, air hose is braided and reinforced and should be checked to 1 1/2 x's working pressure and annually inspected to 2 x's greatest working pressure. Also the fittings are to be checked (I dont remember the exact figures) for strength, some thing to the tune of 500#s if memory serves. Home @#pot doesn't sell anything close to those specs. But if you want to DIY go for it, however, I would skimp on other things besides breathing air. There are several companies on line (a big one is in Louisianna) and would be happy to sell you whatever you want to make a rig or hookah regardless of certification level.

I my experience with hookah, we just ran 25-30' of l.p. line coming off of the first stage. One would think if you ran 30' why not 50', and, you can. just be prepared to take the tank with you if you go deeper than 33' because the l.p. line chokes and is hard to draw if your tank is still in the first atmosphere.(when it's getting near empty, also it'll start to become positive and float) I would imagine, not that I've tried, that the same principle would parallel tool air hose, that stuff wasn't engineered to be used under more than one atmosphere of pressure, nor was it designed to be used in conjunction with air intended for breathing. Also in an umbilical, air hose is braided and reinforced and should be checked to 1 1/2 x's working pressure and annually inspected to 2 x's greatest working pressure. Also the fittings are to be checked (I dont remember the exact figures) for strength, some thing to the tune of 500#s if memory serves. Home @#pot doesn't sell anything close to those specs. But if you want to DIY go for it, however, I would skimp on other things besides breathing air. There are several companies on line (a big one is in Louisianna) and would be happy to sell you whatever you want to make a rig or hookah regardless of certification level.

The reason you have trouble pulling air from the hooka you described is that you have left the first stage regulator at ambient pressure. Therefore the hose only has the intermedate pressure (IP) that the first stage is set to over ambient in it (roughly 149psi depending on the brand of regulator), and deeper than 33' you probably need more than what the IP you are getting to make the second stage you are diving work. The Kirby Morgan regulators are the only diving regulator made to perform with really low IP being provided. Even then the manufacturer does not recommend that you dive the regulator below an IP of 135 psi.

To do a surface supplied system off the surface using compressed air instead of a compressor, you need to have an adjustable regulator on the cylinder (like a welding regulator) so that you can adjust the pressure it provides to make up for the pressure at depth. That is what a scuba first stage does, but it must be at depth and subject to the ambient pressure where the diver is to work correctely.

I used to use that clear hose with the mesh in it, it was food grade from Amazon hose and never caused any problems. It floated on the surface so it was out of the way. I had a small hookah compressor, intake snorkel, SS holding tank and second stages that ran around 80-90 psi instead of the usual 125-135 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom