Is 'simple side-mount' an option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob,

Why is this unsafe? Assuming the following ascent pattern with a .6 SAC

50ft - 1min
40ft - 1min
30ft - 1min
20ft - 1min
10ft - 1min

You're looking at a 30ft avg depth for 5min. (30/33+1)*.6*5*2 = 11.45 cu ft to support 2 people to the surface. Even with 2xAL80s, 500psi covers rock bottom.

Richard/rjack answered it. It's not the number, it's the approach.

drrich2:
...taking GUE Fundamen Just not 'who I am,' so to speak.

That's why I also suggested an Intro to Tech course. You can ask anyone who knows me or of me, I'm not a GUE/DIR diver. I'm pretty much the opposite - I do solo sidemount cave dives. But that doesn't mean the course doesn't have something to offer.

Taking a Cavern course seems a bit silly when overhead diving isn't something seen in your future, no? You can take intro to tech courses in SM, just need to find an instructor who has agency permission to teach it.

Granted my experience is probably a bit limited compared to others', but so far I've seen some really proficient cavern divers while some "Tech" divers don't have the same kind of skill.

Peace,
Greg

It's all dependent on the instructor. I've seen some pretty sad cavern divers, too. I've even seen some sad cave divers (yes, they do exist!). James' suggestion to take an Intro to Tech course with a SM instructor is a good one. Actually, an Intro to Tech course will better prepare someone than a cavern class. Cavern is more about running line and following it out. Yes, trim and buoyancy are important, but it's not the main focus. Intro to Tech is about trim and buoyancy while being task loaded, at least the Intro to Tech course I teach is.

Easiest thing would be to just take an extra 80. Sling it like you would a pony/stage/deco tank on your left side.
Having a BP/Wing makes this real easy,but you could probably rig it on a regular BC. Going to need a D ring somewhere on the left side of your waist and one a little below your left shoulder.

Thanks! Maybe I can find an online depiction of what this looks like. Sounds good.

I'm sure a GUE Fundamentals course can be a great experience; they get excellent reviews on ScubaBoard quite often. I'm just not ready now to dedicate what it'd take to get good use of the course, plus I'm often slow acquiring motor skills (I've got the PADI Navigation manual & hope to take the course someday, but the thought of trying to actually do the skills dives is still frightening, however I go back through the manual occasionally), which can make working with me an ordeal.

Richard.

Thanks! Maybe I can find an online depiction of what this looks like. Sounds good.

I'm sure a GUE Fundamentals course can be a great experience; they get excellent reviews on ScubaBoard quite often. I'm just not ready now to dedicate what it'd take to get good use of the course, plus I'm often slow acquiring motor skills (I've got the PADI Navigation manual & hope to take the course someday, but the thought of trying to actually do the skills dives is still frightening, however I go back through the manual occasionally), which can make working with me an ordeal.

Richard.

Getting the necessary skills to dive safely and proficiently scare you but slinging an 80 and or putting on extra gear to extend your dives doesnt? You are running as fast as you can and still going backwards. Doesnt make much sense. Navigation course will get you no where, learning a compass is pretty easy. Go take some sort of intro or fundamentals class, this will help you extend the tank you are already using. If you are not kicking properly, you are wasting gas, if you have to kick to stay buoyant or flail your arms, your buoyancy stinks and you're wasting gas. See where I'm going with this. Work on the things that need to be fixed before taxing/stressing yourself with extra gear.

While I see your point, it's possible to have the skills to dive with sufficient safety & proficiency in good conditions (like I dive in) on the one hand, while not being ready for, say GUE Fundamentals. For comparison, a person can dive with an OW cert. and a few dives, but when he's got more diverse experience (with or without a formal AOW course) & more dives, he'll probably be better than he used to be and okay for the kind of diving I do. That's about where I am. Many people on the forum laud the Rescue Diver course, and I hope to take that someday and become a better diver than I am now. While I imagine there are a range of opinions on the subject, judging from the keen attention to form/technique/gear I discern from posted reviews of GUE Fundamentals, I tend to regard it has a 'higher level' course than, say, PADI Rescue Diver.

Richard.

I'm going to add some to what jamieZ said. I dive in different configurations (sidemount, BM singles, BM singles/pony/deco/stage, BM dubs, BM dubs/deco) quite often. One thing I have found to be a constant no matter what the experience is pure physics, more tanks or gear equals increased drag which means a higher SAC to push that added gear through the water. Also adding to that is the task loading of managing said increase in gear/tanks which will increase the SAC rate even more. I often amaze myself whenever I go back to a recreational single BM tank set up how long a tank of air/gas will last me. My suggestion from one big guy(6'1" 265) to another is focus on your buoyancy and trim, as well as maintaining it while task loaded. IMO simply slinging an extra bottle can lead to some poor gas management habits.

I have to agree with Gotbail on this one, the extra bottom time you get is likely going to be mostly eaten up buy the extra drag and workload of sidemounts. One of my dive buddies is just about your size and he has no problems matching my SAC. On Bonaire our average dive is in the 75 minute range with 90 on occasion. Our dive profiles are like yours 40-45 to start the dive, turn at 1500 and slow shoreward direction twards the end. The noise about gas management and rock bottom is over reaction to this dive profile, 500 psi in a single 80 is plenty, much less in 2.....if 2 divers can't make it to the surface on 500 psi from 30 feet on Bonaire you both have bigger skill problems. Improving your trim, weighting, buoyancy control, finning and just plain old slowing down will help a lot. Before looking into larger tanks or doubles , find someone local to you who can help you improve your skill level. Finding the right person is going to be the biggest challenge. While a good tech instructor would do, a good buddy who can work with you locally on an ongoing basis is a better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom