Where to dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out condos through VRBO.com

We've always split our trips between Kaanapali and Kihei, enjoying the totally different vibes of Lahaina/Kaanapali and Kihei. When we stayed in the Lahaina area, we'd plan to do a couple of charters to Lanai (Molokai charters would go out of Lahaina too), then concentrate solely on S. Maui and Molokini once in Kihei.

However, now that we own a condo in Kihei, we'll be spending all of our time there. :) Guess our Kaanapali timeshare will have to either be rented out or traded now. :wink:

Is anyone going to stick up for Oahu here?

North Shore, Pearl Harbor, Tons of hiking, great beaches (many that have few people). Diving of all sorts by boat and shore depending on the season. Lots of shopping and tons to keep the non diver happy.

It's my home island but I do love all the other islands for different reasons.....

Just my Dos Centavos....

G

Cheapest way is a condo via vrbo.com.

For a first visit to Maui I recommend at least 3 or 4 nights stay in the main section of Kaanapali. Not just some place that says it is in Kaanapali .... somewhere in the Hyatt to Sheraton main complex.

If it fits your budget, 3 or 4 nights at a Wailea hotel, followed by 3 or 4 nights at a Kaanapali hotel would give you ready access to both the South Maui and the West Maui boats and shore dives.

Since you are coming in December, I'd stay away from anything north of the main section of Kaanapali. Areas like Napili, Honokowai, Kahana, and Kapalua tend to get more rain than Lahaina and Kaanapali.

Is anyone going to stick up for Oahu here?...

Oahu is actually easier for me to get to, I can work a half day, and leave on a flight at noon and get there by 9:50pm, for Maui I have to leave at 6am to get there at 8:40pm and take the whole day off. My girlfriend is a teacher and it is going to be a challenge to get 6 days off for her right before her Christmas break. So that is another reason I was initially thinking Oahu.

Since you are coming in December, I'd stay away from anything north of the main section of Kaanapali. Areas like Napili, Honokowai, Kahana, and Kapalua tend to get more rain than Lahaina and Kaanapali.

Is December a particularly rainy part of the year?

December is in winter, so there's more storm systems and potential for rain. There's also a lot of potential for "lake like" ocean conditions that makes for amazing diving!

Is December a particularly rainy part of the year?
In the summer Honokowai and points north are very nice, as the trade winds from the NE wrap around the north end of West Maui and bring cooling breezes.

In the winter, that same weather pattern means that area gets more rain than areas just a few miles to the south.

Maui has many microclimates. Kihei and Lahaina only get 10-15 inches of rain a year. But there are areas in the West Maui mountains just a few miles from Lahaina that approach 300 inches of rain a year.

My comments were more about microclimates than a general rainy season. Others will have to jump in for that info, but I am under the impression that the winter months tend to have more rain. But the ideal month to visit Maui is also strongly affected by whatever climate you are fleeing. :D

Wow, thanks. Micro climates hadn't really crossed my mind, but I'll definitely aim for the areas that tend to get the least rainfall during that part of the year. This is all very good info, I appreciate it.

We have 11 of the 13 different world climates on the Big Island. The best place of the whole chain to find dry weather is the gold coast. (Research flooding on the other Islands this winter)There's about 30 miles of coastline that gets little to no rain. The only thing you won't find diving off Kona are wrecks. At least nothing major.

I was on Oahu for a conference in December, and Mrs. DivingPanda and I got in 3 days of diving out of 8 total.

On Oahu:

2-tank charter out of Waikiki on the Sea Tiger and Kewalo Pipe
2-tank charter out of Waianae on the Mahi and LCU Deep

Then to the Big Island for:

2-tank AM charter out of Kailua Kona
2-tank PM charter for the manta night dive

I've not experienced Maui, but for Oahu and the Big Island, we felt like we got some outstanding dives in, seeing a flying gunard, harlequin shrimp, lots of frogfish, 4 turtles on one dive, an eel EATING an octopus(!), and eagle rays on Oahu, and fried egg nudibranchs, a big coronetfish (my first), and lava tubes on the Big Island...oh, and the mantas! :cool2: We knew in advance not to expect lots of fish or great reefs, but having only dove in the Pacific once before (Heron Island), most of the fish were new to us and interesting anyways. I do think we probably hit some of the best dive sites on those islands while there - I wouldn't necessarily plan to spend a whole week diving, but 3-4 days certainly.

Plenty to do topside on both islands, of course - we hiked Diamond Head and had some good food on Oahu (didn't love Waikiki, but it rained heavily while we were there, so that nixed some other hiking plans), and drove around most of the Big island, seeing the Black Sand Beach where the turtles feed, the southermost bakery in the U.S., and the Kilauea crater (be sure to bring your dive computer and mind your altitude).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom