Where to dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to Hawaii for 7 days in Dec of this year and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to go for the best diving, and with who if there is a good operator. My girlfriend doesn't dive so if you have land suggestions or just general advice I would be glad to take that too. I'm hoping to limit the trip to 2 Islands, but I may try and do 3 if I get restless (I like to move around and see as much as possible, she like to lay on the beach and not move). Right now I tentatively have Kauai and Oahu (Waikiki) in mind, but that is just an idea very much subject to change.

I would just stick with one island for only seven days. There is so much to see on all the islands that you could easily fill up seven days and not get restless. In my opinion Maui is the most well rounded activities wise. I am headed to Kauai this summer so my opinion may change. The Big Island has the best diving however.

+1 on the Big Island having the best diving.

+2 for the Big Island diving. But Maui is better for non divers. I agree to stick to one island.

Besides having great topside activities and gorgeous beaches, Maui also allows you to dive 4 different islands...Maui, Molokini, Molokai, and Lanai. Lots of variety there. You can also stay anywhere from a pure resort area (Kaanapali) to a very residential area (Kihei) and still walk to the beach or be right on it. Lots of choices and variety on Maui.

+1 for Maui. Great dive operators, great beaches, I go to Kihei every year for the relaxed atmosphere and the minimal crowds. We flew over to Oahu to see the Arizona Memorial and felt like Honolulu is just another large city. Probably lots of other locations around the island that are great, just wouldn't trade it for Maui.

If you go to Oahu, contact Kidspot. If he's not on this board, he's on The Dive Matrix under that name. He lived on Maui and has since moved to Oahu. Good contact.

Anytime you are in Hawaii is a great day, hope you have a great time.

Dennis

If the "non diver" wants to lie on the beach and not move (quote) why not go where the diving is better. The Big Island "Kona" ??

The Big Island has beaches, Maui has lots of beaches. If you want a different beach every day, Maui's the choice. Maui has way more shopping. Things to do? Both islands have more than 7 days of things to do so it's kind of a moot point. Both islands are really nice islands and you'll find fans of both.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems like consensus is Maui for all 7 days, which sounds good to me. My next question would be where in Maui to go (stay and dive), I had been looking at Honolulu which had many places to stay using my hotel points but the same search doesn't show Maui having nearly as many. I think Hilton had 1, Marriott maybe 2 and they were really expensive. I probably won't spend all 7 days in one place, I imagine I'll move around at least once or twice to try different areas/beaches.

Back
Top Bottom