Why it should be LAW that people should get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kids in high school today were born after 1984. Not after the book was released in 1949, but after the "future" the book was written about, 1984.
I feel so old right now!

Yep. And where the heck is my flying car?!! I was promised, way back in about 1958 that I would certainly be commuting to work in my flying car by the 1980's. (My robot maid/butler also doesn't seem to have worked out as promised, either.)

And I recall reflecting on the possibility of seeing the century roll over in 2000 and thinking, "So what. I'll be 50 by then. Practically dead, anyway."

The whole premise of this debate topic is absurd - I like scuba diving, therefore every citizen should be forced by law to scuba dive also. WTF. If this law was applied equally, we would all be forced by law to learn every hobby that someone has an interest in - why it should be law that people learn knitting, why it should be law that people collect stamps.

I think the OP was looking at a hypothetical topic for debate, I don't think he is advocating it.

Why not shoot for something about closer to the line, like:
"It should be made illegal to dive in the US without a scuba certification (unless undergoing scuba training)?"​
That sounds like a sensible discussion topic to me. Pretty basic summary of the pros and cons, and plenty of divergent opinions (including the "does it really matter?" school of thought).

Why not shoot for something about closer to the line, like:
"It should be made illegal to dive in the US without a scuba certification (unless undergoing scuba training)?"​
That sounds like a sensible discussion topic to me. Pretty basic summary of the pros and cons, and plenty of divergent opinions (including the "does it really matter?" school of thought).

It's not illegal already? That is a scary thought...

It's not illegal already? That is a scary thought...

It's not illegal, but I would think it limits your options. Reputable dive shops will not sell, rent equipment or fill tanks without a c-card. You must also furnish a card to get into reputable diving locations. I suppose there are less than reputable places that will fulfill all needs of the uncertified. I'm sure more experienced people on here will have all kinds of horror stories about it.

I applaud you for working so hard to do well in school, be informed, and make good decisions. To become dependent on your hard work at such an early age and to ask questions about reading material that you may have missed out on due to a generation gap.

I didn't read 1984 (I'm 33) but I did read Animal Farm. I personally didn't like it then but understand it more now that I'm older. I DID like Farenheit 451 but don't know if that is even required reading anymore. Heck, other stuff that was required reading for me was Beowulf (omg hated), Madame Bovary (blah), To Kill A Mockingbird (loved), Catch 22 (first time hated, read again and loved) and The Great Gatsby (hated). To be honest, most of the time if it was "required" I didn't like it at all.

(and I could read faster than most of my classmates so was always at least a few pages ahead, causing me to be lost if we had to read aloud.)

I would hope that my son can be as well versed as you in his teen years and willing to take advice and criticism in kind.

Please compliment your parents for me and your teachers, too, because it seems that you have been learning alot.

Looking forward to your "Final Answer!"

Your in AP English and you have not read 1984? Oh my! I read that novel once a year to remind myself what could become of our society...a personal self scare tactic:(

There should never be a law about scuba diving. We have enough laws already. Enacting a law would mean that the Federal Government would become involved. Everything the Federal Government touches they screw up. Diving is fun - leave it that way...

Back
Top Bottom