Info on St. Eustatius or Statia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is transportation from St Kitts to Statia? Have a daughter at Vet School, Ross University and we may go down and visit during Spring Break.

I too, would like to know the travel between St. Kitts and Statia. Would like to know if it possible to dive both islands in a weeks time? I have spent a week on Saba and absolutely thought it was great diving. Thank you.

Check Winair for flights between the islands. I unfortunately lost gear on my trip out of Statia due to Winair or American. Didn't get too much consideration from them as the amount far exceeded what the airlines are required to cover but that's another matter. The hassle is worth getting to Statia for the really untouched diving there.

Travel between ST. Kitts and Statia can be a bit of a challenge but it is possible.
Option one: Winair the only airline to fly to Statia can get you to St. Kitts but you do have to go through St. Maarten.
Option two: small plane charter, time 10 minutes and costs approx $300 one way for two to four persons.
Option 3: Boat charter time one hour $400 six to eight persons one way. You could then fly to St. Maarten for your return trip home.
If however you are looking for a two island trip Statia and Saba are the best way to go, the flights are good and the islands are diver friendly and the diving cannot be topped.

If however you are looking for a two island trip Statia and Saba are the best way to go, the flights are good and the islands are diver friendly and the diving cannot be topped.
The man speaks the awesome truth. St Kitts does not have a marine preserve as far as I know. I don't remember the abundant life that I saw off of Statia and Saba. Of the two, Statia has more history, while I found Saba to be the hands down prettiest island in the World. Also, the Needle is a geologic anomaly that is truly a world wonder.

I needed an excuse to dive Saba, again. And now I have to see Statia, but would love to split the time between the 2 islands. If you have dove Saba, how much time would you spend on each? Would it be better to dive Statia at the beginning or end of a 7 night/6 days of diving trip?

That is a really good question and one that I am asked often, first you are probably going to love both islands. Statia is known for the diversity of dive sites with 8 distinct ecosystems, and Saba has spectacular underwater pinnacles. I would say if at all possible try extending your trip, most guests really aren’t ready to leave after just a few days and there is plenty of diving to be had. That being said Statia’s dives are shallower so more bottom time and there is so much to see so more time on Statia in my opinion. Keep in mind I want you to come diving with me on Statia, so look into both and decide for yourself. Also you don’t lose a day on travel between islands as the flight never gets above 1,000’ and only last 8 minutes. As for which one first, up to you if you’re a little rusty Statia first as the dives are less challenging and Saba last for the grand finale. You could also see it the other way around get your deeper dives out of the way in Saba and then go for bottom time on the shallower dives in Statia, either way you’re a winner!!

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom