Bit the bullet--PADI DM it is.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It costs the instructor nothing to cross certify you, EXCEPT the price of the pic card. I would be asking him about that at this juncture. If I could be both NAUI and PADI certified with one swoop, I would jump at the chance. You could be the first on your block with multiple Divemaster cards!!!

Pete,

The problem for me is keeping up with the dues for both cards.

I just have to watch my expenses and what I have to keep up. Food and housing aren't options diving is.

Tom

Could someone post what the requirements are for PADI / NAUI DM and instructor courses?

Being pressured to become an instructor (and divemaster by default) and would be interested in seeing if I could make the criteria in 'normal' condition, rather than after specific training.

Mike

400 metre timed swim
800 metre mask, fins, snorkel
15 mins float / tread water with last two minutes hands out of water
100 metre 'tired diver' tow.

Not sure about instructor but I believe in a lot of cases the course director tells you to start and not stop till he says so!!

Regards

Jay

Divemaster
Swimming skills (confined water)--Using no equipment, demonstrate the ability to:
--Swim underwater 25 yards (23 m) on one breath; no dive or push-off.
--Swim 450 yards (407 m) nonstop, any stroke, within 10 minutes and then swim an additonal 25 yards (23 m) using any resting stroke(s).
--Transport another person of similar size 50 yards (46 m).
--Demonstrate survival swimming for 20 minutes (treading water, floating, etc.).

Skin diving skills (confined or open water)--To be performed wearing at least a wet suit jacket, a weight belt adjusted for proper buoyancy, mask, fins, and snorkel as follows:
--Snorkel swim 900 yards (823 m), nonstop, within 18 minutes.
--Perform a skin ditch and recovery: Surface dive to the bottom in at least 8 feet (2 m) of water; remove and place on the bottom mask, fins and snorkel; surface and rest briefly; surface dive-recover and don all gear such that the mask and snorkel are clear of water upon surfacing.

Scuba skills (confined water)-- Wearing scuba unit and BC in addition to minimum skin diving gear:
--Perform a scuba lifesaving transport: Transport another scuba diver 100 yards (91 m) within four minutes. The diver being transported may not assist. Breathing from the regulator is not permitted. The airway of the diver being transported should be maintained clear and protected at all times.
--Buddy breathe (not using alternate air source) with another diver while swimming horizontally under water for four minutes. Each buddy (in turn) is to be without a mask and the donor of air for two minutes during the swim. The divers are not to surface during the entire exercise.
--Perform a scuba ditch and recovery: Descend to the bottom in at least 8 feet (2.4 m) of water; remove and place on the bottom mask, snorkel and scuba unit. Shut off air, swim 25 feet (7.6 m) horizontally while exhaling; ascend exhaling; rest briefly; dive; swim 25 feet (7.6 m) horizontally; recover and don the equipment; ascend breathing normally. The total exercise is to be completed with all equipment in place within five minutes.
--Perform a scuba bailout: Enter water at least eight feet (2.4 m) deep carrying mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt and scuba unit (air shut off and regulator purged); settle to the bottom; assume a stationary location and don equipment. Throughout, the diver must maintain control and possession of all gear. After donning all gear, candidates surface normally and tread water at the surface for five minutes without using the BC, snorkel or scuba.

Scuba skills (open water)
--Pre-dive gear check for self and buddy.
--Entry, buoyancy check, swim to and from dive area and exit.
--Distance swim-880 yards (805 m) total during the dive.
--Descents, underwater swimming, and ascents.
--Weight belt removal and replacement on surface and bottom.
--Scuba unit removal and replacement on surface.
--Recover and bring to the surface from at least 20 feet (6.1 m) of water a ditched weight belt of at least 10 lbs (4.5 kg).
--Make a simulated decompression stop at 15 feet (4.6 m) for five minutes.
--Clear mask and regulator
--Retrieve regulator
--Buddy breathe on the bottom not using alternate breathing source.
--Perform a relaxed, controlled emergency swimming ascent from a minimum depth of 15 feet (4.6 m) in open water.
--Maintain proper buoyancy using weights, breathing and BC.

INSTRUCTOR
Skill requirements
*Oral presentations
*In water presentations
*Diving skills--Perform evaluated in-water demonstrations of staff-selected:
--Skin diving skills
--Scuba diving skills
*Rescue skills. Perform an evaluated demonstration of open water scuba rescue: In scuba gear, make an entry; swim 50 yards (46 m) to the simulated victim; retrieve the victim from the bottom in about 20 feet (6.1 m) of water using a safe, controlled ascent; stabilize and give the victim in-water rescue breathing; remove gear as necessary; transport the victim 50 yards (46 m) while continuing to administer simulated in-water rescue breathing. In-water rescue breathing is accomplished by making cheek to cheek or chin contact and simulating a rescue breath of 1.5-2 seconds in duration at least once every five seconds or twice every 10 seconds. The latter option (one breath every five seconds or two breaths every 10 seconds) is chosen at the discretion of the instructor.

The above information was taken verbatim from the NAUI Standards and Policies Manual 1996 edition with all revisions in place.

Se7en, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ber :bunny:

The Divemaster Candidate is expected to complete the following watermanship tests:

-400 m/y timed swim
-800 m/y timed mask, fins & snorkel swim
-tread water for 15 minutes, the last 5 with hands out of water
-100 m/y tired diver tow
-Equipment exchange while buddy breathing (swimming)
-20 skill circuit (demonstration quality)
-rescue scenario #7 (a/r unconscious diver @ surface while removing all gear from victim & self; & bringing victim to shore)

The IDC Candidate is expected to complete the following watermanship tests:
-800 m/y mask, fins & snorkel swim (moved from IE)
-20 skill circuit (demonstration quality)
-rescue scenario #7
Of course this does not include the confined & open water teaching assignments that the Candidate must sucessfully complete.

At the IE the Instructor Candidate must:
- complete rescue scenario #7
- sucessfully complete confined & open water teaching assignments.

Again, these are ONLY THE WATERMANSHIP requirements.

Email me if you have any other questions

~SubMariner~

Hmmm My first attempt at this post seems to have vanished...

Take II

Thanks Ber R and SubMariner.

Nothing in what you have said seems too tough - I'd have thought that all divers should aim to have that level of watercompency anyway, as a matter of course?

Although I must admit I have never tried skin diving and removing / replacing mask and fins. And that it takes me a couple of Warm ups before I can complete the 25 metres underwater without fins.

Mike

For what it's worth, the surface snorkle during my DM was the only time I didn't like my split fins. I'd recommend selcting a blade fin that you are comfortable with for that little test.

I've used my Quattros in the pool - and they also suck on the surface. I think I'd use a set of cheap rubber snorkling fins for that test - I remember them working better than my dive fins. Or complete it as a continous series of shallow duck dives to get the fins working. Or just swim normally (is that allowed?)

That 25m underwater bit sounds a bit tough - I consider myself a good/strong swimmer and I am not sure I could do that straight off the bat (if at all.....)

There are time limits and points to get for completing the PADI circuit in different times though I can't quote them just now. I'd have to disagree on the quattros though - I beat one guy by 50 on the 400m swim but he beat me by over 100m on the 800 m swim (though I swear my instructor lost count!!) - he had quattros and I had blades!!

I did no special training for the swim tests though I know of at least 2 people that really struggled and did lots of training for it and scraped in. The thing is I don't think they continued it after the test so what is the point?!

Have fun
Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom