Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't at all. I'm sure some folks with that title are exactly what you would expect from your definition, but the title is no guarantee that they even have a fairly good grasp of buoyancy control, no guarantee that they don't dive while flailing their hands around all the time. The title means very little, it means they have logged at least 50 dives (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added), it means they have 5 specialties in addition to a Rescue certification (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added). It means nothing else. It certainly does not mean that they've reached the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving.

While I do not disagree with the majority of your post, I believe the 5 specialties you are referring to is for the PADI Master Diver certification.

For NAUI, it is a separate course and a written exam that is a prerequisite for people crossing over to the NAUI divemaster program.

I cannot comment on any other agencies, since I am only familiar with the NAUI and PADI curricula.

Find a college student that does fake ID's, he can fix you up with a fine master diver card sure to impress everyone.

ronbeau:
While I do not disagree with the majority of your post, I believe the 5 specialties you are referring to is for the PADI Master Diver certification.

Of course it is. I was responding to, "In the PADI system, the MSD rating is the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving. That's a fair claim....it is exactly that."

ronbeau:
For NAUI, it is a separate course and a written exam

I'm aware of that fact. NAUI, SEI, and perhaps other agencies have an actual master diver class. PADI, SSI, and perhaps other agencies do not.

There are a lot of Master Scuba Diving Qualifications and they're explained at wikipedia.

It's clear the NAUI offering is a fundamentally different animal - and a far more serious undertaking.

It's not dissimilar to the British Sub_Aqua Club's Advanced Diver qualification. That course covers true advanced diving topics like chartwork, shot lines and organizing expeditions and commonly includes advanced decompression diving and trimix. A true 'Advanced Diver' certification.

It's clear the NAUI offering is a fundamentally different animal - and a far more serious undertaking.

With all due respect, I would have to say that they (PADI and NAUI MD) are about the same, and whatever differences there are, or were, they are not "far more serious".

A lot of folks seem to want to compare this agency or that agency, or to compare the past with the present. These are pointless, fruitless endeavors. They generate a lot of heat, but no light. Fords and Chevys. Adequate bar fare, but only if the beer and the cheer is good.

The goal of dive training is to prepare a diver for diving today, with today's conditions and equipment. If a class does that, then it has done it's job.

Life is full of disappointments. I see lots of people with qualifications that start "Bachelor of ..." and one assumes that with that level of education they should be able to spell and use basic grammar, but sadly this is not so.

If you are worried about not having a grandiose enough title to impress people, become a Freemason. In no time at all you can be 'Master of the East Wind' or a 'Prince of Jerusalem'. Plus you get medals instead of some patch to sew onto your wet suit... That has to be better for picking up chicks than a MSD card.

PS. "Scuba Lord" - great made up name! Let me know who I pay my $50 to to get that...

The other day I had a local fisherman bestow me with a title.... I didn't catch all of it, it covered just about all aspects of diving. It was something like.."GOD DAMN NO GOOD BASTARD SCUBA DIVER ...... OWNS THE OCEAN......STEALING MY SPOTS.....MOTHER......and it went on and on til he was so far away I couldn't hear him any more but I could still see his lips moving while he was saluting my obvious expertise and rank.

I decided to just shorten the title to "Dive God". You may all genuflect now. Thank you.

Subaquatic Lord of the Seven Seas?
It has a nice ring to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom