Possibly moving to San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude729

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, I might be moving to San Diego in the very near future for work and had a few questions about the diving here.

What are the water temperatures like around here? Is there a big shift in water temps between the seasons. What kind of exposure protection do most people use?

I'm not sure how tight my funds will be at this point, so is there a lot of diving that can be done from the shore rather than boat dives?

I know there are quite a few marine biology programs in the area, does this mean there are a few younger divers in the area(I'm 23, just wondering if there are people my age or is it a lot like the east coast where diving seems to be mostly older people).

Some info about me, I'm 23, a software engineer, I'm AOW certified, have about 50 dives, about half quarry diving half in the Caribbean(have dove the NE Atlantic). If I move out here I would expect diving to be a bigger part of my life than it is now.

Any other info you can give me about diving here, or in San Diego in general would be great, especially from people who have made the move from the east coast.

Thanks!

What are the water temperatures like around here? Is there a big shift in water temps between the seasons. What kind of exposure protection do most people use?

Water temperatures range from the low 50's in the winter to the high 50's to the low 60's in the summer time. For wetsuit divers, the majority wear 7mm suits with 5mm hood and 5mm gloves.

I'm not sure how tight my funds will be at this point, so is there a lot of diving that can be done from the shore rather than boat dives?

Yes, there is high quality and easily accessible shore diving at both La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove. Both are very easily accessible from shore and then after a short surface swim you will find at La Jolla shores a canyon with walls that have quite a bit of life and at the Cove you will find a reef system and kelp with quite a bit of aquatic life. Both places also have free parking, restrooms and showers.

I dive with a 7MM suit/Hood 5mm gloves and stay warm. There are plenty of rental places down here so if you can't afford to re-kit right away don't sweat it too much. I dive La Jolla Cove/shores for about 20 bucks (2 tank rentals).

One of the best things about San Diego is the amount of divers down here. The first time I went to the Shores I was surprised to see close to 75 people gearing up on the beach(that was a busy day). There are several dive clubs in the area and at least one for UCSD students (not sure if it's closed to students only). I am 30 but all my regular buddies are 20-25.

Which part of SD are you moving to?

There are some amazing sites here ranging from wall dives from shore, Kelp dives from shore and boat and some fantastic wrecks (both deep and shallow).

Diving here can be as big a part of your life as you want hear.

I run a small dive busines in SD and offer instruction, trips/guides and also some specialty equipment. If you would like to join us for any diving check out my website at Ocean Explorers

If you need any specific questions answered (other than the ones already answered he) just PM me.

Hope to dive with you soon.

hey, you should join powerscuba on meetup.com. We have about 830 divers all together and have killer deals on dive boats (very cheap and affordable). We have a bunch of organizers who do weekly shore dives too, its a great place to meet people and get involved as much as you have time and money for. My brother and I travel for the experience, I live in Orange County and my brother lives in Bakersfield, its that good.

hey, you should join powerscuba on meetup.com. We have about 830 divers all together and have killer deals on dive boats (very cheap and affordable). We have a bunch of organizers who do weekly shore dives too, its a great place to meet people and get involved as much as you have time and money for. My brother and I travel for the experience, I live in Orange County and my brother lives in Bakersfield, its that good.

Yes, powerscuba is a great way to meet and dive in San Diego area. Alot of us SBer
are "members" there and with Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website . If you do move, let us know and you will never have a excuse that you can't find dive buddies. Hey, I'm an old fart and I don't mind diving with younger divers as long as they are safe and honest about their skills.

Looks like it didn't work out, maybe I'll bring my stuff out there on one of my trips so I can dive with a few of you guys. Or maybe I'll just keep my eye out for another job out there. Either way, thanks for the advice, hopefully I can dive with ya soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom