pre-dive checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make your pre-dive a part of your routine starting with packing your gear.

My travel bag is packed the same way every time. I pack it in the same order every time. Each piece of gear is inspected before it's packed.

When gearing-up on the boat or at a dive site, use the same routine. If you are diving with an "instabuddy" generate a conversation with them about your gear and his/her gear.

Finally make a the clean-up and storage a part of your pre-dive routine. If a piece of gear is in need of replacement or repair, do it before it gets put away.

Any type of checklist is helpful. I also make notes about things to include or exclude on similar future trips.

Follow a list or use an acronym in the beginning or forever. If you memorize it use muscle memory or routine but never do it as an after-thought.

For example: BWRAF

B= BC
If you are diving you should have checked this already and each time you use it. Remember, when you clean it to rinse the bladder with fresh water. Doing this will automatically have you checking for leaks because you'll need to inflate it to blast the water out of the bladder.
Lessons I have learned require you to always make sure that all your overpressure and quick-dump valves and your inflator hose connections are screwed tight, not loose, before you dive.
Finally, inflate the BC before you jump in so you are positively buoyant when you hit the water - this will also alert you to leaks. Listen carefully if on an idling boat.

W= Weights
Always after donning your gear double check that your integrated weight pockets are in and equipped with correct amount of weight. Forgetting this is embarrassing more than dangerous - believe me.

R= Releases
You check these by always putting your BCD on by clipping all releases. There is no reason to leave a release undone. Make sure your BCD is donned the way that is most comfortable. This should be a no-brainer once you have had enough dives.

A= Air
This is the most important check. Get in the habit when you put your regulator on your tank that you turn it on, check the pressure, AND leave it on. A lot of people set up the reg, turn it on, check their pressure, then turn it off because of a fear that some pressure would be lost. Don't do this. If you are losing pressure it is due to a leak and you should not dive if the leak is not manufactured into the system as some regs have. Turn the air on and leave it on and you should be okay.

F= Final Check
Check your buddy. I always give my dive buddy a review even if they don't notice. Give it to your buddy and have him/her check you out. With a good dive buddy this will become natural because you are looking out for a friend. Never be afraid to check a buddy's air, tank straps, etc. If he/she is not checking you, the knowledge that you are doing your part may be the best hint.

Never quit learning. There is no known "best" way to do anything without experience.

Unfortunately the BWRAF mnemonic doesn't really cover that and my console has the SPG on the backside of the computer so I don't see them both at the same time. Thanks again for the input. I appreciate all the info I've been getting from scubaboard.
You can always make it cover your computer. When you get to A for air just call it air and activate.

I'm former military -- my checks hearken back to those days. I've a list that I follow meticulously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom