Drysuit seal tackyness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cory, I sent my suit back to Superior Drysuit Repair for the neoprene neck seal. I know Steve Gamble in Florida does them, too.

The thing with neoprene seals is that they really have to be sized correctly, because they do stretch significantly with use. If they're too tight, you can't get them on over your head; if they're too loose, then you won't get very many dives on them before they begin to leak.

I have the frequent neck seal replacement issue with latex, and tried neoprene, and I'm back to latex and just budgeting replacement three or four times a year. I, too, have tried everything recommended to lengthen the life of a seal, and nothing has made a difference (which is liberating, because now I don't do any of it any more :) ) I'm waiting for some reviews on the silicone seals and zip-type system to come out, and if they really work, that's my next try.

Hey Lynn,

Thanks for the advice. I didnt realize the neoprene was so sensative. I have a thick neck and have sizing issues even with latex... I really dont wanna send my suit off and pay for a neoprene one and then end up in trouble... perhaps Ill just replace the latex. Do you by chance have Scott Christophers email or number....(all my contacts were on NWDC and well.... u know.....:idk:) I know he just fixed Joes neck seal...

I'm sure Scott has contact information on his website, at Sound Aquatics I don't have his phone number at my fingertips.

MR Brown, bob has the right direction on the things that are close to your suit on surface intervals, My wife had the problem that turned out to be her hair conditioner. So you have a couple alternatives, wash good with simple green (good enough for o2 cleaning) then spray WD-40 on it. It will attract a numerous amout of salmon pulling your reg out of your mouth though. Or the number one option is to dive wet, diving is diving thats just what diving is. Now if none of this helps you, buy a new drysuit with neoprene seals that fits you, the zipper is the first to fail. I dive a 6.5 scubapro jumpsuit to 170' to 250' and I am just fine for a little over an hour, especially in these months when hunting in shallows. You must dive many suits here as the season changes, unless you take pictures, BURR!

Happy Diving

Talc. Mine has been getting sticky for a year. Rinse it really well every dive. Apply talc.

I think actually your neck size is going to be a good thing for a neo neck seal. Women apparently have issues because their necks are typically smaller than their heads, so seals that will make it over their heads, will be loose on the neck. I'm thinking my next seal will be neo, Mattley loves his, as do a few others.

Wally at Tacoma SCUBA will do Neo seals.

Jake

Women apparently have issues because their necks are typically smaller than their heads, so seals that will make it over their heads, will be loose on the neck. I'm thinking my next seal will be neo, Mattley loves his, as do a few others.

Jake

I'm not so sure I'd agree with that. I dive a neoprene seal and I'm a little lady. Actually I think it's the smallest neoprene seal they make that fits me just as it should. I am interested in the silicone reviews as well, but have been very happy with the neoprene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom