Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard of divers giving themselves pink-eye from the spit method. I use sea-drops and the only time they failed, was when I forgot them...in which case I used spit.

The divers who got pink eye contracted the malady from an improper technique... they did it WRONG!

The spit is rubbed in the MASK to prevent fogging, not in the EYES... silly sods :rofl3:

:D

Long time spit user here. But the other "soapy" preparations work just fine too :wink:

Best wishes.

It burned after thoroughly rinsing the mask a few times?

Yes. I'd apply it and rinse it myself under supervision. It would burn. So I'd have the helpful person who suggested it apply and rinse the mask for me. It would burn. Sometimes repeated mask floods and clears would resolve the issue, but if the burning got really bad, I would remove the mask, rub off the offending compound, and replace/clear the mask.

Ultimately, I decided that since spit worked very well without stinging my eyes once I dove with the mask about a dozen times, I'd quit seeking out new solutions to a now non-existent problem via painful experimentation.

Why should I BUY anti-fog when I have a free lifetime supply readily available?

So I tried the toothpaste cleaning... did it three times, and went for a quick snorkel. Absolutely no difference. My spit doesn't seem to do the trick.

Fortunately, I ordered Sea Gold at the same time as my last post, and it just arrived today. I'm headed to the beach after work and will test it out!

Best,

Nelson

On a newer mask, try "Softscrub" (lemon scented). On the grocery store shelf. I never found tooth paste to be aggressive enough for a new mask. After a few scrubbings (or dive trips), you can back off the aggressive detergent. If the face plate is cleaned, prior to application of the antifog, it will not fog up on you. The cleanliness of the face plate is much more important than the antifog materials.

Another vote for spit! and if it fogs, like said before, just let some water in the mask and clear it. Also, I love to use JOY dish soap. I often exhale through my nose when diving to conserve air and this can increase the fog rate of a mask. Joy rocks at keeping my mask clear

Back
Top Bottom