Recommendations for upstate NY diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Former resident of Rochester here (wasn't into diving then).

I will be traveling through the Finger Lakes region to the Albany area in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if it is worthwhile to haul my dive gear to Seneca Lake or anywhere else in that region.

Suggestions?

Is Canandaigua Lake better?

Former resident of Rochester here (wasn't into diving then).

I will be traveling through the Finger Lakes region to the Albany area in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if it is worthwhile to haul my dive gear to Seneca Lake or anywhere else in that region.

Suggestions?

Is Canandaigua Lake better?

Seneca is nice. It's extremely deep and pretty cold, so bring a drysuit if you have one, although the last time I check it was all shore diving unless you know someone with a boat.

Skaneateles is also nice. If you're there on a Wednesday, Friday or Saturday, National Aquatic Service has a pontoon boat that goes out during the evening on weekdays and Friday afternoon with a little cookout after.

If you don't mind an hour and a half drive, The St. Lawrence and Ontario is just up Rt. 81. Hunt's Dive Shop runs a very fast boat out of Alexandria Bay to some of the sites on the US side.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Canandaigua.

Terry

where is the shore access on seneca???

A bit far from Albany but try Lake Champlain, one can see many wrecks, and since it was home of the Battle of Plattsburgh, one can can also see lots of underwater cannon balls shot at Valcour Island, which from a distance looks just like a gunship. So the British shot as the island thinking it was an American boat, but it's an island! There are other ships like old ferry boats, schooners, barges, and stuff. Up by Rouses Point there is even a sunken railroad trestle connecting New York and Vermont... really cool lake. You would need some lights though since the water tends to be quite murky.

I'd post the URL to a map of major shipwrecks but I have under 5 posts so, I can't, but maybe I can PM it to you if you like!

It's about a 2 1/2 drive from Albany to get to Plattsburgh but certainly worth it.

Back
Top Bottom