First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartdog126

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to be diving in Florida all local and just a recreational diver and I'm planning to get advanced certified soon hat dive computer do u recommend for the first one ?

I'm on a budget of 500 try nothing over but if I should wait longer tell me should I get a gadge and rebuy later?

I'm going to be diving in Florida all local and just a recreational diver and I'm planning to get advanced certified soon hat dive computer do u recommend for the first one ?

I'm on a budget of 500 try nothing over but if I should wait longer tell me should I get a gadge and rebuy later?

You should be able to get a combo spg with a Suunto Gekko for under $500. I've had mine since I got certified and it is an easy to use reliable basic dive computer.

You might wanna read the forums first I guess for better sellection. But personally I would reccomend Uwatec Aladin Smart-Tec. Eventhou they are discontinued comps but within your budget they may be the right choice.

You should be able to get a combo spg with a Suunto Gekko for under $500. I've had mine since I got certified and it is an easy to use reliable basic dive computer.

Oh wait buy a spg and a wrist computer, should I step up a little for like a vyper air and a spg and then buy the transmitter later? It's 500$ without the transmitter.

I recall from a survey some time ago that about 65% of divers preferred wrist-mount. However, if you get an air-integrated console, you can save the cost of an SPG. Food for thought. I dive two computers - a wrist mount (Sherwood InSight) and an air-integrated console (Sherwood Wisdom 2). I have never dived any other computers and can therefore not make any comparisons. However, I like both computers. Since I dive some low-vis water, the large numbers on the Wisdom 2 are very helpful.

As for conservative vs. liberal computer algorithms, the Sherwoods are liberal. If this concerns you, just make sure you don't redline against the NDL.

I would spend as little as possible on a simple wrist computer, and buy a brass/glass SPG like the XS scuba. Oceanic, Aeris, and Suunto all make simple wrist computers; the suunto gekko is one, oceanic veo100nx, aeris XR1nx. These all do nitrox and provide all the dive info you need.

IMO people buy expensive computers because they like gadgets, which of course is perfectly fine, but don't expect a more expensive computer to improve your dive experience. Some people like to download their dive profiles and are willing to pay for that; others want air integration, saving them the "terrible inconvenience" of having to look at a SPG, and are willing to pay (usually quite a bit) for that.

The important things are: 1)easy to read and understand display, 2)clear N2 loading bar, which is very helpful near the end of a dive when you typically use your computer the most, 3)the ascent rate indicator and alarm, and 4)the conservatism of the algorithm that the computer uses to calculate N2 loading and off-gassing. It's important to understand that conservative computers have absolutely no better track record in preventing DCS than do liberal ones, even though that seems counter intuitive. There simply is insufficient data, and too many variable outside of computer selection, to make any conclusive statements about computer safety comparisons.

I recall from a survey some time ago that about 65% of divers preferred wrist-mount.

I would go with a wrist mount computer. It is so much easier having to check just by looking at wrist especially if you are multitasking. I like sunnto but they are very conservative on the second and third dives. Sonntag are reliable have large display, easy function. I also like Genius React pro nice inexpensive compute Backlit, get it for 300 or lessit is more liberal than the Sunnto's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom