1 Breath swim for NAUI DM swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got my certification we had to do something our instructor called circuit breathing...

I still teach circuit breathing and implement it in my OW training program. It's a great way of building confidence. I don't agree that it's dangerous. The diver just has to be aware of the hazards and do it properly. It's not hard (I was doing it at 11 and I don't claim to be the brightest bulb in the package); no big deal. :)

I should have mentioned that we were doing the circuit breathing test in a pool that was only 5 feet deep, so there was minimal risk. Also, the test came at the end of the class which included 32 hours of pool time, 36 hours of class time, passing the written test with a minimum score of 90%, so we'd had a reasonable amount of training at the point when we took the water tests.

The head of the aquatics program (tenured professor) taught the class and had zero financial incentive to pass anyone. You could pass the tests and get college credit, but still not get certified. Our class had about 105 students of which 4 actually got certified; the other three were all on the U of Mo swim team.

My point is that it wasn't like we did it after a session or two in the pool. Also he had teaching assistants galore, so we were very closely supervised.

37.5 feet down and 37.5 feet up.
Are you allowed to use fins? Weights?

Not really ... teach them to keep their airway open when breathing compressed air ... it's not hard.

We have a variation on that: the four corner buddy breathe.

I should have mentioned that we were doing the circuit breathing test in a pool that was only 5 feet deep, so there was minimal risk. Also, the test came at the end of the class which included 32 hours of pool time, 36 hours of class time, passing the written test with a minimum score of 90%, so we'd had a reasonable amount of training at the point when we took the water tests.

The head of the aquatics program (tenured professor) taught the class and had zero financial incentive to pass anyone. You could pass the tests and get college credit, but still not get certified. Our class had about 105 students of which 4 actually got certified; the other three were all on the U of Mo swim team.

My point is that it wasn't like we did it after a session or two in the pool. Also he had teaching assistants galore, so we were very closely supervised.

I like the idea. I was just pointing out the risk. I like that it was done at the end of the course and not just part of the required pool dives. I will point out though that 5 ft. can still cause some damage in a lung over-expansion.

Ha, I thought when you mentioned the circuit you must have taken coach's class, then I saw the U of Mo and knew it. I'll have to say though, 3 off the wall was much harder at breath holding than the underwater circuit.

Was lurking in the forum, but joined just so I could shout out to a fellow recipient of coach's gauntlet.

Hi, it's good to hear from another MU alum. If I can figure out how to do it I'll check out your info. Where are you? Are you still diving? Was Busch's class fun or what?

Hi, it's good to hear from another MU alum. If I can figure out how to do it I'll check out your info. Where are you? Are you still diving? Was Busch's class fun or what?

Hey, in the Kansas City area, still diving when I get the chance. I just took the class fall 2008 actually, saw your profile, man Busch has been teaching for a long time. When I first got out of that class I figured other divers followed roughly the same rules/ training. Big surprise.

In fact, exhaling in the absence of inhaling new gas does nothing about your blood CO2 levels (nor the levels in the lungs). What it does is "fool" your brain into thinking you are breathing, so you can defeat the urge to inhale a little longer. It does work, though.

I just posted a link here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sn...cientific-american-limits-breath-holding.html to an article that discusses this. I know this is an old thread, but this discussion stuck with me, and the article reminded me. It seems consistent with TSandM's explanation. Thought I'd close the loop a little for the archives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom