? on the PADI OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quizzes and tests are corrected to 100% after you take them anyway. It's not like you are going to fail. Some people...

It's a simple formula.... Read the Chapter, Complete the Knowledge Review, Watch the Video - then, you will be ready for the quizzes and tests as well as your Confined Water sessions. If you cut out any part of this - you are short-cutting yourself alone.

I found the 50 question written test easy-missed one poorly worded question ...

if you think PADI-ese is challenging at the open water course level... wait till you see a DM exam :D

Biggest word of advice for a student: take your time

There is no reason to rush through the exam; it wont get you anywhere quicker. Seriously... PADI loves to play word games and a number of questions will hang on semantics such as WHICH ITEMS ARE NOT... or WHICH ITEM IS WRONG and the way it gets worded, if you are rushing, it is rather easy to miss a 'NOT' or other similar modifier

The PADI systemis set up great. You probaly ow't appreciate all the education unitlit is over. You are learning a complet new skill filled with science and research. Jsut study the book and enjoy it as enrichment and not as a drudgery. If you miss a couple that is all right, if you ahv e good instructor he will explain it and the important part is you understand it.

After it is all over later it will all makes sense, read the book, enjoy it and have fun.

Patrick Wirtz, PADI instructor

Don't worry a great deal about the test. If you have read the book, taken the end of chapter exams - really taken them not just read a question then looked in the book for an answer, you will do fine. A quick review of the end of chapter stuff just before the final will help.

Here is a misconception......

"The quizzes and tests are corrected to 100% after you take them anyway. It's not like you are going to fail. Some people..."

Actually not true, if you do not get 100% the first time, material will be gone over.....but until your instructor is satisfied that you understand the material, you will not pass.

if you think PADI-ese is challenging at the open water course level... wait till you see a DM exam :D

Biggest word of advice for a student: take your time

There is no reason to rush through the exam; it wont get you anywhere quicker. Seriously... PADI loves to play word games and a number of questions will hang on semantics such as WHICH ITEMS ARE NOT... or WHICH ITEM IS WRONG and the way it gets worded, if you are rushing, it is rather easy to miss a 'NOT' or other similar modifier

I took the 8 DM exams at once- missed 10 of the 160. A few I just missed, and a few due to interpreting the wordings wrong.

Is there a writen test? If so is it open book? I have started reading the book. The class will start in May.

When this quesiton is asked at the beginning of a class or when someone is signing up for a class, this usually means (to me) that there is some "test anxiety". I don't know if that is your case or not, but here are some tips...

1. At the beginning of each chapter there are some "you will learn this" type of bullet points. As you read the chapter there are some "quick review" questions at the end of each topic. Please notice how these are very similar. At the end of each chapter, there will be some knowledge review questions. Notice how these are similar to the quick review questions?

Once you take the quiz for each chapter, take a moment to notice how the quiz questions are similar to the knowledge review questions that are similar to the quick review questions which are similar to the "you will learn this" items.

Do you see the pattern? Trust me, the final follows the pattern.

2. Read the question. Re-read the question. Answer the question for how it is written. Do not add words or "what ifs".

Depsite what other people have said, there is only one right answer for the question. I know the question(s) that others are referring to, but for exactly how the question is worded and how the material is presented in the manual, there is only one right answer.

3. Some questions are worded poorly. Go back to #2.

With all of that said, reading ahead well before the class isn't a back thing, until...

You get to the dive tables. There are three types of people in the world when it comes to the dive tables...

1. They understand the theory behind it, what the tables mean, and how to use it.
2. They understand the theory behind it, but the tables might as well be written in heiroglyphics.
3. How do you dive with a table? Wouldn't the legs get in the way?

If you are reading the dive table section and you say "I think this is how it works", stop right there and let the instructor take over. It is possible to teach yourself the wrong way to do it, and then in class you repeat those learned mistakes.

It always annoys me when some in a class are starting to do all this as the class starts and an instructor has to take time to mention stuff that should already be known.--Like in Nitrox Class, when a half hour was spent reviewing the RDP AIR tables. Good luck.
Amen to that ... had the exact same thing happen in my nitrox class. I'm not sure some people really get the concept of adult/continuing education.

Here is a misconception......

"The quizzes and tests are corrected to 100% after you take them anyway. It's not like you are going to fail. Some people..."

Actually not true, if you do not get 100% the first time, material will be gone over.....but until your instructor is satisfied that you understand the material, you will not pass.

Um, that's pretty much what corrected to 100% means. I don't think anyone thinks it means the instructor just gives you the correct answer and you move on. If you miss a question, you discuss it, figure out why your answer was incorrect and why the correct answer is better. But there is no pass/fail and no retesting. Beyond that it is up to your instructor to judge whether the post-test discussion has brought your knowledge level up to a safe standard. If not, then more instruction occurs until you've got it.

Back
Top Bottom