? on the PADI OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But there is no pass/fail and no retesting.

Yes, there is.

The student must get at least 75% correct to pass.

If the student surpasses 75%, the instructor goes over the problems as described.

If the student does not get 75%, the instructor goes over the problems, reteaches problem areas, and then gives a new and different test of about the same difficulty. The process is then repeated.

I don't understand the big deal, I've never had a problem with any certification test and I only read through the material usually once and then it's usually gone over in class once. The tests are easy in my opinon.

Yes, there is.

The student must get at least 75% correct to pass.

If the student surpasses 75%, the instructor goes over the problems as described.

If the student does not get 75%, the instructor goes over the problems, reteaches problem areas, and then gives a new and different test of about the same difficulty. The process is then repeated.

Straight from the Instructor Manual:

If the diver scores less than 75 percent, consider a retest, however the certification criteria is performance based.

Edit: If the student shows mastery when going over the missed problems, you don't have to give a new exam. I personally re-test the student, but the option is there not to.

I don't understand the big deal, I've never had a problem with any certification test and I only read through the material usually once and then it's usually gone over in class once. The tests are easy in my opinon.

Differnet people, different issues.

Edit: If the student shows mastery when going over the missed problems, you don't have to give a new exam. I personally re-test the student, but the option is there not to.

Well, I stand corrected.

I never noticed that wording. I assure you everyone I know thinks it is required.

[QUOTE

2. Read the question. Re-read the question. Answer the question for how it is written. Do not add words or "what ifs".

Depsite what other people have said, there is only one right answer for the question. I know the question(s) that others are referring to, but for exactly how the question is worded and how the material is presented in the manual, there is only one right answer.

You know, in hindsight, I can see where you're probably right on.

I took the test 5 years ago, so I'll mention the one question I missed. "What is the cause of DCS?" A. Down too deep or too long B. Something else I wasn't sure of C. Being hungover or swimming through rough water first D. All of the above. I knew A was the main cause, but that C can certainly contribute (and maybe be a cause by itself even if you don't do A, or come up too fast) I wasn't sure of B, but I put D as my answer figuring both A & C were correct. The correct answer in the instructor's copy was A. My instructor said C could also be correct, it was poorly worded, and I probably should've gotten 100%. Now if it had asked what is the MAIN cause, my answer would be dead wrong, but I'm sure I would've answered A if it said that.

Last edited:
if you think PADI-ese is challenging at the open water course level... wait till you see a DM exam :D

Seriously... PADI loves to play word games and a number of questions will hang on semantics such as WHICH ITEMS ARE NOT... or WHICH ITEM IS WRONG and the way it gets worded, if you are rushing, it is rather easy to miss a 'NOT' or other similar modifier

Want a real kick, then try the DSAT Tec exams! There's someone at PADI that just doesn't understand that things like...

"...increase deco-stop time BY 150% of original stop time..."

and

"...increase deco-stop time TO 150% of original stop time..."

...are two very different things.

:no:

If the diver scores less than 75 percent, consider a retest, however the certification criteria is performance based.
When that changed, many shops decided to not exercise the option.
But with the 2010 Instructor Manual, the option is not even available any longer.
Retest student divers who score less than 75 percent on a quiz or exam.
(from GS&P, page 31, bottom of the page).

Biggest word of advice for a student: take your time

There is no reason to rush through the exam; it wont get you anywhere quicker. Seriously... PADI loves to play word games and a number of questions will hang on semantics such as WHICH ITEMS ARE NOT... or WHICH ITEM IS WRONG and the way it gets worded, if you are rushing, it is rather easy to miss a 'NOT' or other similar modifier

A bit of advice I given in Navy schools about tests.

RTFQ

Read The F------ Question. Just because you know the material and have seen the answer several times during the course does not mean the same question is being used. Jumping to the known answer while skimming the question makes a simple not in the question a wrong answer on the paper. This is especially important in multiple choice questions.

Over the years I have probably increased my test scores 10 to 20 percent using this tactic.

Bob

Actually skimming over a persons post on ScubaBoard has made for some interesting responses and "discussions", now that I think about it.

I can't dive anymore because the instructor tore the tests out of our books. If I happen to risk getting caught it has to be wet because even though I was diving dry he wouldn't sign me off. Ha ha ha ha ha. At least he could dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom