Preferred Custom Wetsuit Manufacturer - Aquaflite or Wetwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been wearing custom wetsuits (and to a lesser extent) Drysuits for 15 years, so I know the drill. The mistake I made was ordering one over the phone from a company 3000 miles away. I earn my living with my dive gear and when I need it, I need it now, not after I've discovered it doesn't fit right and sent it back across country three times trying to get it right. And I know for a fact there was no discussion of multiple fittings during the several phone conversations I had with them during the ordering process. There was plenty of, "You really should get the wrist zippers installed, only an additional $80.00" etc., etc.

I'm sure they're a wonderful company. I just ain't goin' back, that's all.

I've been wearing custom wetsuits (and to a lesser extent) Drysuits for 15 years, so I know the drill. The mistake I made was ordering one over the phone from a company 3000 miles away. I earn my living with my dive gear and when I need it, I need it now, not after I've discovered it doesn't fit right and sent it back across country three times trying to get it right. And I know for a fact there was no discussion of multiple fittings during the several phone conversations I had with them during the ordering process. There was plenty of, "You really should get the wrist zippers installed, only an additional $80.00" etc., etc.

I'm sure they're a wonderful company. I just ain't goin' back, that's all.

I am sorry to hear of your experience with us. Did you call us to discuss the fit issues? We would gladly take care of any wetsuit that does not fit properly. As far as the bells and whistles...that is something we tell you about, but in the end it's your decision. Because the arm and leg expansion zippers are unique to our suit we like telling people about them. Most people are thrilled to death with the long zippers in the arms and legs and so appreciative that we suggested them. Again, I am sorry for your experience.

You must not have been listening. They do multiple fittings all the time and they constantly tell their clients to give them feedback. I know, because I have steered a number of people their way with absolutely no complaints and they tell me their stories. That's like going to a tailor, having a custom suit made and then assuming they are not going to adjust things after the initial cut. If I were you, I would contact them and get the fittings. The entire staff is quite helpful and ready to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Of course, these suits are labor intensive. I have heard of people buying one and then wanting to return them. They will only fit YOU, but you have to go through the process. If you want a suit that fits you off the rack, then don't go for a custom suit. If you want a suit that will keep the cold water out, is incredibly easy to don and will last a LONG time, then WetWear is for you.

As I've said on a couple of threads over the last year, it's hard to beat Wetwear's customer service. These people are almost desperate to help you get what you want. They're busy but Kristi answered every email and phone call I made with every dumb question that she's probably been asked a thousand times with enthusiasm and understanding. The LAST thing they want is an unhappy customer. I cannot speak to FastBottom's experience, only my own and what I've read from others. Their products aren't for people who want something yesterday and don't care about the quality and will likely treat a wetsuit like an expendable item. There's nothing wrong with that, just be happy with off-the-rack.

While in my own case I was fortunate enough to be able to fly down in the morning for a fitting before the final assembly of my suits, most people can't do that. I do know that the Wetwear folks will do measurements at any dive show they are at and are devoted to making sure you get the product you want and pay for. Is any process or vendor perfect? No. Is Wetwear more attenuated to customer service and providing the best process for making a custom suit for remote customers? Without a doubt.

I owe NetDoc a debt of gratitude for turning me on to Wetwear and echo everything he's said. And it's not like either of us are compensated endorsers. We're just interested in presenting all sides of customers' experiences with Wetwear since they're good people with a very solid product.

And I'll add this: the zippers at $80 or however much they were are possibly the best investment you'll make on a suit. I've had people on boats take the time to ask me how I added them to my suit since I suit up and down in half the time they do. I'm a believer in getting what you pay for and I am more than satisfied with my suits.

I have a Wetwear semi dry and I love it. They use good material that keeps you much warmer than most. My favorite feature is the long zippers in the arms and legs. They are very knowledgeable and can help you with anything you need to know about what is the best wetsuit for you. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom