Hotel Cozumel Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Hotel Coz last weekend.

The outdoor stage show may keep you from falling asleep before 9pm. I was at the opposite end of the bldg from the stage and wore earplugs the night we arrived (that flight left way too early).

The all inclusive plan is great for alcohol, not so good for quality of food. Think cafeteria quality. Loads of places to eat in Cozumel (Ernesto's for fajitas and key lime pie). El Moro is worth the scary cab ride (you'll think you are going for a one-way ride towards the end): it is blocks into a local living area, small side street where you don't expect to find such good food.

Room Wi-Fi didn't connect to the Internet after the first day: misconfigured router after a reboot but because you could get a wi-fi connection, the staff thought everything was okay. The lobby was on a different system and wi-fi always worked there.

There are two grocery stores within easy walking distance towards town. Really more like Target Super Stores than just grocery. I picked up breakfast bars and snacks (no frig), plus Horchata and Jamaica concentrate (Deliciosa brand) to mix with the bottled water for flavored drinks. Only a week and I'm craving the stuff. I tended to use more mix than called for. Got my wife hooked too: she's mad because I talked her out of bringing some back with us :)

ATM in first grocery store offered menus in English.

Always ask how much BEFORE getting in the taxi. Price is negotiable.

Prepare for the onslaught at the airport. Rental car dealers, tour operators, places to stay (who shows up without one?), make for a gauntlet.

Have fun!

Hi, I will also be staying at Hotel Cozumel during May. Any recommendations for room location for wi-fi access, view, and lack of noise? Also any do's and dont's?
Thanks,

I'd recommend you take the poolside(interior rooms).

A couple of years ago we stayed there, we paid extra for the exterior ocean side view room. Once we got there and saw it, had our doubts, tried to stick it out and try it out, hung out on the balcony... about 15 minutes later my wife and I were in complete agreement that the room sucked. Kind of a scummy balcony with rusted, broken window type surround on the balcony... lots of road noise... you're in the 'turkish prison' dank, dark hallways in that part of the complex...

Anyways, 'down graded' to a 2nd floor poolside room. Much cleaner, much nicer, much quieter. Nice balcony with a plam tree...

We never did get our upgraded fees back.

I could get WiFi on the balcony but not in the room.

Thanks for all the help with Hotel Coz.

Scubaboard is geat for up to date info. I booked with H/C yesterday.

Has any one rented bikes from H/C or somewhere else for an hourly rate or week long period. Price?

Thanks
MMTNDIVER

The food reviews seem to be only fair to not good. The extra price for all inclusive was very minimal and it will cover the drinks for the day. We are planning on doing most dinners in town and doing breakfast and lunch at H/C.

Does anyone know if you can order lunch off a menu and what are the beer choices bottle or only draught?

Less then 2 months to go.

Thanks again

I'm surprised you're finding unfavorable reviews on the food. I loved it. There was always good variety and there was only one meal, the outdoor dinner, where I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. All meals are served buffet style including the snacks from the poolside bar. I'm not sure about the beer.

I just saw this thread and had to throw in my two-cents-worth! I have been going to CZM since the mid 80's. I have stayed so many places there that I've lost count! Somehow, though, for about the last 7 or 8 years we (wife and I) just keep coming back to Hotel Cozumel. In fact we stayed there in 2004 when we got married on Nachi-Cocom Beach.
We tried Park Royal the last two times we were on the island (both within the past twelve months). Great Hotel!... New, fresh, oustanding restaurants, but not at all diver friendly! So here we are going back to HC on March 20th!
My wife doesn't dive and she loves this hotel. She always feels safe there, and she loves the pool! We have been told that it is the largest on the island. It is also within easy walking distance to town, and she likes that.
Neither of us has ever really been impressed with the food. It's OK but tends to get pretty boring after a week (it all begins to taste the same!). Having said that, we always do "all-inclusive". It is so convenient and the free drinks are worth it!.... You'll find yourself wanting to go into town for something different before the week is over!
The hotel has always been clean, if not ultra-luxurious. And the staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Do stay pool side. The ocean view rooms are crap (and noisy)! The pool side rooms over look a gorgeous and well manicured central area. And although they occassionally have some loud entertainment going on, it always comes to a halt at about 10:00 or 10:30.

Last edited:
Prepare for the onslaught at the airport. Rental car dealers, tour operators, places to stay (who shows up without one?), make for a gauntlet.

I find myself laughing at this!... You might not think of doing now but back in the late 80's and early 90's before the island got so "touristy", frequently Aero Mexicana or Mexicana Airlines would often have really cheap "last minute" deals on flights to CZM. My friends and I would often throw our dive gear in a bag and go jump on the plane... Having NO idea where we were going to stay when we got there!... Somehow, it was never a problem!... Try that now! LOL :)

I just saw this thread and had to throw in my two-cents-worth! I have been going to CZM since the mid 80's. I have stayed so many places there that I've lost count! Somehow, though, for about the last 7 or 8 years we (wife and I) just keep coming back to Hotel Cozumel. In fact we stayed there in 2006 when we got married on Nachi-Cocom Beach.
We tried Park Royal the last two times we were on the island (both within the past twelve months). Great Hotel!... New, fresh, oustanding restaurants, but not at all diver friendly! So here we are going back to HC on March 20th!
My wife doesn't dive and she loves this hotel. She always feels safe there, and she loves the pool! We have been told that it is the largest on the island. It is also within easy walking distance to town, and she likes that.
Neither of us has ever really been impressed with the food. It's OK but tends to get pretty boring after a week (it all begins to taste the same!). Having said that, we always do "all-inclusive". It is so convenient and the free drinks are worth it!.... You'll find yourself wanting to go into town for something different before the week is over!
The hotel has always been clean, if not ultra-luxurious. And the staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Do stay pool side. The ocean view rooms are crap (and noisy)! The pool side rooms over look a gorgeous and well manicured central area. And although they occassionally have some loud entertainment going on, it always comes to a halt at about 10:00 or 10:30.

I tend to book my flight then my small hotel in San Miguel that includes breakfast as I am not that keen on the all inclusive buffets and love the restaurants in town. However I have seen deals that include the flight and all inclusive hotel to Hotel Cozumel and others that are so cheap that it really does not matter if you eat at the hotel or not and you are still saving a bundle. IMO getting away from the all inclusive and going into town gives you a real feel and apreciation for what the island and community is all about .

Back
Top Bottom