Need Advice on Buying Used Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on buying used steel tanks that have been in storage for several years?

There's a set of PST hp 65 tanks (doubles) for sale on ebay. They were made in 2000 and the owner used them for 65 dives during the first 2 years. The tanks have been in storage since 2002 with 300psi of air.

My concern is whether corrosion would set in after sitting around for this long period of time.

thanks.

Corrosion could have eaten the insides of the tanks alive in 90 days......I wouldnt buy used tanks if i cant open them myself and verify the contents......see if the guy will have his LDS do a VIP. If not, PASS.

If the tanks were stored with air all their life, they should be good to go. I bought a set made in 1943, I'm diving with them.

This is a "buyer beware" situation if you cannot have the tanks inspected before purchace.... having said that, if the price is right I'd buy them. If they have been stored with air in them, there should be minimimal-to-no internal corrosion. I stored a steel 72 for over 20 years with about 500 psi in it. When I decided to return to diving a few years ago, I had it inspected, tumbled and hydro'ed, and it was good to go. The tank will out live me, and my teenaged kids, and their kids when they have 'em.... you get the picture.

As long as the tanks were stored properly, there should be no problem.

Best wishes.

This is a "buyer beware" situation if you cannot have the tanks inspected before purchace.... having said that, if the price is right I'd buy them. If they have been stored with air in them, there should be minimimal-to-no internal corrosion. I stored a steel 72 for over 20 years with about 500 psi in it. When I decided to return to diving a few years ago, I had it inspected, tumbled and hydro'ed, and it was good to go. The tank will out live me, and my teenaged kids, and their kids when they have 'em.... you get the picture.

As long as the tanks were stored properly, there should be no problem.

Best wishes.

What he said :D

However if there was saltwater that had intruded the tank(due to OOG or wet fills) those tanks may be toast. Buyer beware!

If you could write out the markings on the cylinders for us we could offer more specific advice.

Unfortunately, I cannot read the markings from the photo. The owner used Nitrox 36 so I'm assuming that what's left in the tank. Not sure if that would play a factor for internal corrosion.

I would guess that if he was running Nitrox, there is a lesser chance he was getting questionable/wet fills and the risk of bad tanks is even lower.

But again, you never can tell for sure.

marky-d

If they are in-date and had a hydro they should be fine. The overall condition (outside) should also be a good indication of the care/maintenance owner did. Best of course is to buy new..... peace of mind. I bought 2x 12liter steel Fabar’s new a week ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom