Need Advice on Buying Used Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 10 steel tanks, only bought 1 new.

If they were made in 2000, they were due for hydro in 2005 and 2010. Have the seller get them hydroed and VIP. They pass, good to go. I have one steel tank left from the 60's, still passes, still in use.

If they were made in 2000, they were due for hydro in 2005 and 2010. Have the seller get them hydroed and VIP. They pass, good to go. I have one steel tank left from the 60's, still passes, still in use.

Absoulutely correct. Take into account how much it will cost you to have tanks hydro tested and vip.There will also be a fee for breaking the doubles down and reassemble them.You may be looking at a cost of $75.-$100. for that service.Then if you wish to have them for nitrox there is a fee for O2 cleaning after the hydo test.That can be as high as another $35.-$50. per tank.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I held off on buying the used tanks and have purchased the same tanks new that were on sale at Leisurepro. I'd rather pay the extra $$$ and play it safe for peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom