First wetsuit - Tall guy, tropical weather (mostly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Filippo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Been lurking around for a couple of weeks, thought it was time to finally register :)

So I'm buying my first wetsuit in the next couple of days.

The situation:

-I'm 6'5 210lbs (1.95m , 95kg) so it's hard to find a suit that fits me off-the-rack (though not impossible)

-I live in Brazil. Gear here is ridiculously expensive. I have to buy abroad (USA) and have it shipped here

-Also, living in Brazil, I'll dive most of the time in tropical waters. However, I really want to start diving wrecks, so I will need protection.

The questions:

1) Which thickness should I go for? I'm thinking 4/3 would be a sweet spot, but should I go for a full 5mm suit? Just the thought of it already makes me hot :D

2) I found an O'Neil Heat (4/3mm) size XLT that looks like a good fit and the price is not bad ($244). Should I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance!

Filippo

Buying wetsuits without trying them on is a crap shoot. I have the same problem as you living here in Belize. I have a 3m ScubaPro (probably made in China) that's X Large and fits me perfectly. I bought a Mako online, size large, based on it saying it was for 5'11 to 6'1 and 176-185 lbs. It was too BIG !! Baggy in my thighs and butt. I sold it to my buddy and got a medium which fits perfect. An XL and a Med. Go figure.
The Mako is nice and is 3.5m for only $150. (Makospearguns.com) Pretty good deal. I use a 2m hooded vest under it when it's cold here in Belize. That way it's almost like two suits...warm and cold.

Look at the sizing charts for each wetsuit manufacturer.
I just bought a Bare 3mm. Bare's charts are quite accurate with short, medium, and tall models for each size.

call Pinnacle Aquatics, their suits are some of the best I have ever seen. I can highly recommend the Merino-Elastiprene 3 or 5 mm. Their 3mm are about as warm as most 5/4's due to their Merino liner, not to mention that the Merino liner doesn't develop that wetsuit funk that most other suits do. I recall they don't charge extra to custom order a suit.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I searched Mako, Bear and Pinnacle, and none of them seem to have a size that - in theory - would fit as well as the O'neill (based simply on the size chart). What do you think of that suit?

Oneill 4/3 Heat Mens Fullsuit

This looks like a nice suit but made more for surfers with the chest pad. But you are an odd size and unless you go custom, you'll probably be limited on what you can get off the shelf. And for US$250, it'd be nice if you could try it on.

This looks like a nice suit but made more for surfers with the chest pad. But you are an odd size and unless you go custom, you'll probably be limited on what you can get off the shelf. And for US$250, it'd be nice if you could try it on.

I agree. I'm sold, I will go custom, no point in taking a $250 risk. Thank again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom