Neoprene neck seal gives me a headache?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I usually have a headache after 1 or 2 dives with the suit and the neck seal feels mildly uncomfortable when it is on. I have seen other people just sitting around in the suit after a dive, I cant wait to get my head out of that thing to get comfy.:coolingoff:

I assume that it is to tight, I have tried streching it over a tank for a week and it did not make much of a diffrence. So I ask this question...

Is this normal for neoprene neck seals? I am considering switching it to a latex. Are latex seals generally more comfy? Thanks for your help:wink:

The benefit (in comfort terms) of a conical latex neck seal is that you can trim it to fit you better.

I can't address the question of which is more comfortable, neoprene or latex, but it certainly sounds as if your neck seal is too tight.

A headache is a very good indicator of this.

Safe dives . . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents ! ! !

the K

How old is the seal? They definitely stretch over time -- mine went from uncomfortably tight to leaking in about six months :(

My neoprene neck seal is perfectly comfortable. The dive shop did trim it back a few times until it felt good and did not make me turn red in the face. Most have some taper and you can open it up by trimming it back a little at a time.

Latex has less bulk and less warmth to offer.

Pete

i bought the suit new, and have about 30-40 dives on it. It has been tight since the first dive, I think it has gotten a little better, but I still end up with a splitting headache about 70% of the time.

If I did manage to stretch it out enough to be comfy, I guess it would have a good possibility of being leaky huh?

My neoprene neck seal is perfectly comfortable. The dive shop did trim it back a few times until it felt good and did not make me turn red in the face. Most have some taper and you can open it up by trimming it back a little at a time.

Latex has less bulk and less warmth to offer.

Pete

That gives me hope, maybe I will leave my tank in the seal for like 2 weeks to see if it helps. :wink:
I worry about trimming it since i will be losing sealing surface...

That gives me hope, maybe I will leave my tank in the seal for like 2 weeks to see if it helps. :wink:
I worry about trimming it since i will be losing sealing surface...

Repeat stretching will help. The effect of stretching is to rupture the neoprene slowly allowing it to relax. Part of what happens is just short term elongation that rebounds. You can get a little more with each stretching. Stretching certainly want to be measured in days not hours, it's a long term process.

I can't speak for what your seal is like on you. I know with mine I have a lot of latitude in just where I position the roll. Since it gets doubled over a 1/2 inch trim only drops it 1/4 inch on your neck assuming a constant fold over.

If you do trim it use a fresh razor and one pass or some very good big shears and a steady hand. It's critical that there be no jagged cuts that can become the root of a tear.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom