Ritz vs. Westin vs. something else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Momdouce

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all-
Myself and my two boys, ages 12 and 15, are traveling to Cayman for the first time this Thanksgiving. We are newly certified divers (Curacao last Thanksgiving) and would like not only to dive this trip, but enjoy other activities as well.
Diving friends have stayed at the Cobalt, however I am looking for something a little more mainstream. I looked at the Marriott (as the one in Curacao was beautiful) but the reviews I’ve seen have been iffy and there are reports of loud construction in the area.
I am now looking at the Westin or the Ritz…leaning toward the Ritz due to the Cousteau program for kids.
I would appreciate any advice on the hotel selection and also on a dive operator who caters to younger, less experienced divers.

Thank you, in advance!

Trip Advisor ranks Ritz as number 2.

The best dive operation is on the other side of the island. Ocean Frontiers. My only reason to not recommend them is they will spoil you for any other Caribbean diving. Take a deep dive specialty beforehand or right off.

Great dive sites: Big Dipper (deep), Kelly's Cavern and Fantasea Land (both more shallow)

The Wreck of the Callie is right off the shore near the Cayman Dive College. Next door to it is a great restaurant with Tarpin feedings in the evening.

For non-diving... Go to hell. . . er, it's in the northwest side of the island and has its own post office. Yes, you can send postcards from hell... ...and bring a camera.

Thank you for the info-I will certainly check out Ocean Frontiers and Hell!

You should seriously take into consideration the depth limitations and inexperience of your family. A 12 year old diver is strictly limited to a maximum depth of 60ft and the inexperience of you and your older son mean you should definitely stick to shallow dives.

Cayman is known for deep wall dives. There are steeply dropping undersea cliffs which leave the diver hanging weightless over the abyss. And it is no place for an inexperienced diver. Your primary consideration in selecting a dive operator is whether they can absolutely guarantee you shallow (<60ft) dives, and preferably with an in-water guide.

The Ritz or the Westin both have great beaches - the Marriott less so. It is a long drive to Ocean Frontiers from any of those.

Thank you for the concern-
I am aware which is why I want an operator who has experience with young, inexperienced divers.
Do you have any suggestions?

Just putting this out there for you to consider ...

If you dont mind being the other side of the street from the beach, the Sunshine suites is great. Its not as fancy as the Ritz/Westin (its located directly across the street from the Westin), but you will for sure pay less and also have a full fridge/microwave/range, etc which is great for when you don't want to eat out. Free wifi & continental breakfast also.

Grand Cayman Lodging, Sunshine Suites Hotel and Resort

I have been diving with Ocean Frontiers many, many times. I recall one dive where a Dad and three young sons were diving together. The staff chose a site that allowed everyone an opportunity to enjoy the scenery withing their safety limits and a DM stayed with the family group the whole time.....can you imagine??.....one parent and 3 under 12 at the same time?? Yikes!

I have dove with OF for years now. Many times they have picked the site for the first dive based on the possibility of staying up on the reef instead of doing the wall, esp with new divers who request it. Of course you have to be comfortable being a buddy group. Second dive is almost always possible to stay at 40 or less.

I suppose I should add that Ocean Frontiers is in the southeast corner of the island. It is quite a drive out there. The drive is made more interesting for American drivers as the Caymans is a left side road (opposite of the US). They offer a place to stay next door. The east side and southeast side have beautiful (deep) walls.

Seven mile beach is along the west side of the island and has plenty to see by shore diving. Most of the big hotels are on the west side (as is the airport). Stingray city is a little west of north. Hell is in the northwest.

Coconut Joe's Beach Bar and Grill offers a "beergarita" worth trying. Think margarita with a corona slowly mixing. It is near the Marriott.

The Wharf restaurant (also on seven mile beach) has great sunset dining. Tarpons are fed here after dinner.

Most operators offer two tank morning dives. The first dive is at the edge of the wall (which surrounds the entire island) and the second dive is set in slightly closer to shore at a shallower site. The top edge of the wall varies in depth from about 45ft at the shallowest sites to 75ft at the deeper sites.

When some guests request two shallow dives and others want a deep/shallow combo, the group gets split. Depending upon the dive company and perhaps on the number of available staff there may not be an in water guide for both groups. More often the guide ends up with the deep group.

Very occasionally there may be enough divers requesting two shallow dives to warrant an entire boat dedicated for that purpose. In these cases the first dive would likely not be at the edge of the wall. You are more likely to find this situation early in the week and with the bigger dive operators. Make inquiries with larger companies such as Red Sail or Don Foster's. Larger companies also are more likely to have staff to put in the water with you.

Every single dive operator deals with young and/or inexperienced divers. That is a part of the business. However it is the not the core focus of the dive industry in Cayman. Cayman sells deep wall diving - it's what we are best known for. What you are likely to find is an operator looking to meet your needs while focusing on everyone else.

Finally, there is always a way around this. You can charter a boat from a smaller operator or hire a guide at most of the shore diving locations. With either option, your needs are the focus.

Back
Top Bottom