The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What an ass. I agree with awap.

call the dive shop then call the local "marine patrol" or what ever there is and complain about not heeding to the dive flag

I am not familiar with Kentucky law, but I am sure there is something wrong with the unmitigated ass anchoring next to your boat flying a dive flag.

You may want to mention this, if so, to the local marine law enforcement agency...

Another self righteous twit, the internet is their habitat. Be glad that you got to see one in real life. Once they expose themselves in real life, they are usually blasted with expletives and retire into their shells.

What an egotistical jerk!

If he had said "that doesn't look like a safe setup" you could blow that off but he went way over the line.

I don't dive vintage gear other than a couple of old steel 72's that I love to dive, but if anyone ever tells me to hand over my card. The fight will be on. Probably only verbally unless they push the issue.

How stupid could he be in talking about calling the police? Are there some new laws that I don't know about?

What an :mooner:! I would have stuck him with my Vulcan.

I wonder what he would have done if he had seen this! My 10 year old last week.
_13_00037-1.jpg

...too bad you couldn't show Captain Busy Body the sharp end of a vintage dive knife !

I considered calling the shop he claimed to work for, then decided not to. I wasn't doing anything illegal and he was just showing his ignorance. I just thought the whole thing was hilarious. After I cooled off a bit, that is.:D

How did diving start in the first place? We were taught the use of the "vintage" equipment as well as the contemporary gear. As long as your skills are good, what difference is there?
He sounds like someone who wanted to look important in front of his students, what an idiot.

My thought is that he was worried that I would be a corrupting influence on his students and they might realize that they don't have to buy a trillion dollars worth of equipment from his shop in order to dive. The cost of my equipment:

US Divers DA Aquamaster (completely rebuilt by VDH)------------$250.00
Classic Oval Mask from Vintage Scuba Supply--------------------- 35.00
Deep Blue Gear Aquanaut Full Foot Fins-------------------------- 23.00
Vintage US Divers J snorkel (bought 40 years ago)---------------- 3.00
Healthways steel 72 w/J valve bought in 1976 for ---------------- 80.00
Stainless steel dive knife bought from Ebay for------------------- 10.00
Healthways capillary depth gauge bought 40 years ago for-------- 4.00
Healthways campack backpack bought in 1976 for---------------- 15.00
Scubapro weight belt bought 30 years ago for-------------------- 3.00
5 lbs weight---------------------------------------------------- 5.00

Total---------------------------------------------------------- $428.00

Compare that to the amount his dive shop might expect to get from the students by selling them all the "necessary" gear for SCUBA diving.

Even adding my new Sea Elite horsecollar BC-------------------- 150.00

the total is less than $600.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom