PADI DM class ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this has already been touched upon by another poster, I don't think it hurts to emphasize that a positive attitude is the key to the consummate dive professional, regardless of how far up the food chain he or she is! :)

Other points (forgive me if I'm repeating someone else):

- professionallism: YOU are the role model, act accordingly. Yes, you can have a good time, but not if it reflects badly on you and/or other members of the Leadership Team.
- watermanship & skills: we know you can flood & clear your mask, but it has to be to DEMONSTRATION quality. (Broken down into its components & illustrated in a deliberate, clear manner.)
- knowledge development: if you have problems understanding anything, don't hesitate to ask! That's what the Instructor is there for... to help you LEARN.

BTW, don't be too hard on yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes, because that's the whole point of being a DMC! The learning curve is steep... don't be daunted. :)

Note to Jonathan: it's not uncommon for a store to require their dive professionals to use only the brand of gear they carry. Afterall, students naturally want to emulate their Dive Leaders, and that includes the equipment. However, the store should either be providing gear free for training purposes or offering it to their staff at a substantial discount.

Have fun!!!!

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by NetDoc
You can conduct tours for certified divers in stock tanks...
You can teach snorkeling in stock tanks...
You can assist an instructor teaching classes in stock tanks...
You can teach a remedial diving course to a certified diver in stock tanks...
You can even dive them thar stock tanks for pleasure...
You even get to be called unkind things by Capt Dave as you dive in stock tanks...

BUT - If I remember right from another string - [due to my NAUI DM] only for the NAUI classes :confused: - not for PADI!

OhBoy - Here I go!!!!!

I was asked by a close friend if I wanted to be a DM and even an Instructor, a few weeks ago and not wanting to show a interest right away didn't ask these informative questions. thanks

Originally posted by NetDoc
You even get to be called unkind things by Capt Dave as you dive in stock tanks...

NetDoc, this is a good one, but don't forget you can also be forced to walk the plank by CaptDave.

Heck I am not a DM, but I am in the water with several that were forced to go overboard on his cybership.

hmmm....wonder were he is? Maybe he is spending his $5000 he got for that last weeks trip in some cool destination.

As it was explained to me...

Thru numerous student surveys trying to discover why the shop wasn't selling gear it was discovered the students thought the instructors got their gear free or at a greatly reduced price, but the DM's actually had to buy all of their gear so the students went for what the dive masters were wearing.

Not teaching will be a challenge. Being a demo model I'm gonna feel like Vanna White. Look good (I already do), and turn letters as needed.

New gear list will include: Dacor Tigers (maybe), Dive Rite transpak, and Apex regs. My wife is gonna acuse me of doing this to get new stuff. Hey what ever works. Some of this gear I will be able to get at cost or the shops key man discount.

Thanks yall

Tom

You guys are using a couple of terms with which I'm not familiar. Please define "stock tanks" and "DMC."

Thanks,

WWW™

LOL @ Walter....

Stock tanks are the next best thing when you can't make it out to the swamps!

While sometimes these are large man made water troughs for cattle and horses (either concrete or galvanized steel), most often they are small ponds of about 60-80 feet in the largest dimension where ground water is collected for watering the same hoof stock.

As far as DMC, I don't know.... But if you add "run" to it you got a rap group.

--TM (who offers up ... [3 dots] in memory of JoeWR)

Walter...
A stock pond is usually a shallow depression, sometimes man made, in the pasture where the livestock lives. Ergo...stock tank. What makes these interesting is the snot-like foam that collects around the edges and the pea soup consistancy and color of the water. The life in the stock tank will vary tremendously in the course of the year as the water temps go from cold enough for ice around the edges to hot enough to coddle an egg. Diving in these locations will vastly inprove your navigation skills as well as your reptile identification skills.

DMC = Divemaster Candidate

As a DM you can also do Discover Local Scuba and teach Skin Diving.

Plus as DMC don't forget you have to provide bacon butties and chocolate ( my instructor was also disappointed as the 4 on my course did not smoke so he couldn't ponce fags....)

I hope they give you a big discount if they want you to wear the kit they sell, but I agree with SubMariner they really should loan you the kit when you are "working" for them.

Jonathan

It is not that big of deal for a shop to ask you to conform to their equipment before you sign on. They might even give you time to get up to speed. The class will be fun and challenging... working through the knowledge workbook is great, and seeing the newbies learn is just plain wonderful. The best though is getting the chance to help the "skill challenged" students one on one. I do look forward to the next step for me, but I do miss the one on one times with the instructor as I worked through my skills and knowledge. It was a lot of hard work (how many tanks did I carry, I wonder) but if I had to do it all over again, I would do it with the same enthusiasm I had before I knew any better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom