Surgical tubing for regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your pics do not show it well but by deciphering your post you essentially leave the tie around the mouthpiece and then use another zip on top of that and the tubing if I am understanding it right. In that case your method would be ok in my book. What I am referring to is the practice of using one tie to put mouthpiece and tubing on. That can lead to failure in my experience. My original configuration that failed was pimped off to me by several DIR proselytizers. It failed twice but my QR buckles and other gear that I was severely berated for has never failed.

Hi-- None of these pics seem to be working-- the links take me to a "URL Not Found" page. Can someone update?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've heard some people bungee their regs on surgical tubing. What kind of tubing do they use, where do I get it and how to do it? Are there any DIY instructional webpages out there? I tried doing some searches but didn't find anything good.

I tried various devices for holding the regulators but nothing works well.

thanx,

Gene

Were I you, I would use bungee cord. It's readily available and a whole lot more reliable than surgical tubing.

The links aren't working because the thread is four years old.

A lot of us tried the Manta necklace (the TDL site) when it came out, and everybody I know stopped using it. You can't adjust the length (and for a lot of people, it's way too long), and the size of the mouthpiece ring is wrong for a lot of regs. A simple shock cord necklace seems to work very well for me.

Interesting conversations on this. Went to the scuba toys site and like the use of the double overhand fishermans knot concept. One thing though, how tight or loose should the necklace be around the neck?

Interesting conversations on this. Went to the scuba toys site and like the use of the double overhand fishermans knot concept. One thing though, how tight or loose should the necklace be around the neck?

It should be loose enough so your chin doesn't hit it when you tuck your chin to your chest to look down, but short enough so it's not hanging out of your slipstream. Generally, if you can get it so it doesn't hit your chin when you are horizontal, it'll be about the right length.

If you're still intent on using surgical tubing, you can buy it readily enough at a hardware store or possibly your local dive shop (I find that some dive shops do stock it, but some don't). Even if you decide to order a ready-made octo necklace online instead of making your own, surgical tubing comes in handy in so many other ways. My fiance used to use a couple of lengths of it to secure his knife to his leg, and even had a wee bit tied onto his chest D-ring to hold his cave markers. It's now a permanent fixture in the save-a-dive kit, and has saved several dives (for example, broken mask straps can be replaced by surgical tubing in a pinch!).

Back
Top Bottom