Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any trade,exchange,barter,purchase of or to a Hardly Ableson 'could have been a motorcycle' would be a mistake...on the other side of the venue, keep the boat, use the harly as an anchor (drain the gas and oil out first) ...seriously though, I have fewer friends who died underwater than aboard a bike.....VIVA SCUBA!!!
:shakehead:

Flingin' insults is easy. Care to back that up with why you think that newbie? I'm just curious.

I'd be willing to bet that any HD has held its value better, and has cost much less to run (that does not include the cost of customization: that's an option) than a boat of equal new value over a given time period.

I used to race motorcycles at Willow Springs, I think the risks are similar - in both sports the consequences of error can be catastrophic... but good meticulous planning and most importantly keeping within your skill level can mitigate these risks to a great degree. I have raced motorcycles at a pretty fast pace (used to do 1:28s at Willow during my heyday :D), I've crashed a few times but never broken a single bone! And everytime I crashed it was a foolish mistake on my part.

Now, riding on the street is quite a different story...I think it is very risky, you can be a good rider but someone else can run you over.

I have been hurt ridin my bike but not scuba (knock on wood). Like I told one of my friends if a fish pulls out in front of me no prob.....if car pulls out in front of me big prob.

I have been hurt ridin my bike but not scuba (knock on wood). Like I told one of my friends if a fish pulls out in front of me no prob.....if car pulls out in front of me big prob.

That depends on the size of the fish......:sharkattack:

I got a Harley for my ex wife............everyone thought that was a good trade. :crafty:

Riding on the street can be very dangerous....from people not paying attention to the jerks who cross the double yellow because they can't drive/ride well enough to stay on their side. I started riding a few years ago and found myself very nervous when riding on the street - so much so that I never had any fun.

So I decided to take the bike to the track (the new bike is not street legal, so I can't even ride it on the street anyways....good excuse to go to the track!). I had a ton of fun and felt much safer than I did on the street. But by no means would I say it's without risk....I am very thankful for a nice set of leathers and a good helmet!

Then I started diving....and there went all of my time and money that I used to devote to the track. I wish I could do both, but at this point in my life, I can't. Diving won the battle and I can't say I'm disappointed.

But don't base your decision solely on safety. You can mitigate the risks of either activity, but you should do what you want when you want....rather than try to rationalize giving one up because the other is safer.

I cave dive and it is way safer than a motorcycle these days. Stick to diving, you'll live longer.

if you look at it as a motorcycle out completely in the open with no chance of an idiot coming along and hitting you or animal running infront of you i think motorcycles are safer. Practically though there are far fewer idiots concentrated in an area diving typically takes place so i would say diving is safer because of the amount of lethal outside elements involved

if it is because you can only afford one or the other depending on your boat expenses and how often you dive or fish you might be better off without a boat and just doing like a monthly or biweekly charter

Safer? It seems diving is....however riding is just an amazing experience.

Yup...you can die on a bike, and die quick. However you can die in your bathtub or on your couch.

Ride for the crash (not like the standard Harley R-ich U-rban B-iker) and practice defensive riding. It does not guarantee your safety, but can go a long way. I have lost several friends to riding motorcycles, and known of several more "acquaintances" that have died. I still ride.

Heck I also own and fly a small airplane, just starting into diving, used to jump out of Air Force planes, love to white water, and used to adventure race. I love to live life, not live in fear of it.

BTW...what kind of boat? I am a blow-boater junkie and could never imagine trading one in for a motorcycle unless it was about pure economics.

Safer? It seems diving is....however riding is just an amazing experience.

Yup...you can die on a bike, and die quick. However you can die in your bathtub or on your couch.

Ride for the crash (not like the standard Harley R-ich U-rban B-iker) and practice defensive riding. It does not guarantee your safety, but can go a long way. I have lost several friends to riding motorcycles, and known of several more "acquaintances" that have died. I still ride.

Heck I also own and fly a small airplane, just starting into diving, used to jump out of Air Force planes, love to white water, and used to adventure race. I love to live life, not live in fear of it.

BTW...what kind of boat? I am a blow-boater junkie and could never imagine trading one in for a motorcycle unless it was about pure economics.

That may be a new thread. What's safer Private Airplanes or SCUBA?????/

One final thought from me: a lot of things are dangerous unless you put your mind to them. There are idiots in cars, on bikes, on motorcycles, climbing mountains, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, and going underwater with a tank on their backs, all thinking the same thing: "I know it could, but that won't happen to ME". If you love to ride, get the bike. If you love to dive, keep the boat. You'll stay alive longer doing what you love. If you don't do either yet and are just jumping in, keep the boat and learn to dive. In the meantime you can still use the boat. You can still learn to ride if you want to, then buy a bike (the other way around doesn't work well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom