Seeking Opinions on Troubling Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, talk about a thread hijack, lol. We're talking about - what? - flutes?

Not that I care, but I think its funny. I guess a purist would say my complaint of the thread hijack is a hikack in itself:)

It's even better when SB staff take part in the hijacking. :)

Patillo is - surprisingly - classically trained from a prestigious institution. What he found, though, is that even a talented and skilled flutist made less money than the typical bagger at a grocery store. From the article I read, he started playing around with "beat box" on the flute just for fun on his lunch hour from the grocery, and soon was getting more for that hour, playing on the street, than he was for a full day working in the store.

What I like about both him and Robert Dick is that they coax sounds from the flute that others wouldn't even dream of trying. Many of Robert Dick's compositions include specific instructions on how to achieve the sound effects he incorporates, and they're interesting to listen to.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Sir James in concert, and he is quite expressive on many pieces. Flight of the Bumblebee, though, is something of his "show off" piece, where he demonstrates just how fast he can play. My flute teacher had me working on a couple of pieces that Galway was scheduled to perform, and the evening of the concert she asked, "So, are you ready to tell Sir James how to play Faure's Pavane?"

I said, "Yeah, right after I teach Lance Armstrong how to ride a bicycle."

I've had the pleasure of seeing Sir James in concert, and he is quite expressive on many pieces. Flight of the Bumblebee, though, is something of his "show off" piece, where he demonstrates just how fast he can play. My flute teacher had me working on a couple of pieces that Galway was scheduled to perform, and the evening of the concert she asked, "So, are you ready to tell Sir James how to play Faure's Pavane?"

I said, "Yeah, right after I teach Lance Armstrong how to ride a bicycle."

Yeah I figured as much. someone with that much skill isn't likely to be 2 dimentional. Flight of the Bubmblebee is, however a piece that *can* be played with technical perfection *and* depth. Like this woman.

R..

Watching her fingers in that video, you'd almost think the video was sped up to make it look like she was playing faster. I know it wasn't, but the speed at which her hands are moving is just unreal.

I think this Video highlights Galway's expressive abilities better, since he's not showing off just how fast he can play.

A nice musical diversion while we wait to hear if the LDS owner ever gets back to the OP on the incident.

For fun, how about Metallica on the Celtic Harp, along with some other tunes. Anne Roos is a talented harpist, and a darn nice person. I love her CD's. Her collection, Mermaids and Mariners, has some great songs for setting the mood for diving (as if I think most of us need to set a mood for diving...).

It sounds like something I experienced a few years ago when teaching my first open water class. I was descending down the line on above the platform with 4 students. We first checked to see if there was anyone below but the platform was empty. An instructor and her class swam up underneath us after we started our descent and immediately grabbed my fin and started swinging me around. I immediately took my students who were also on the descent line with me up to the surface, assuming my the other instructors behavior, that there was a problem. When surfacing, the other instructor started screaming out of control insulting me and my students because we were on the same line, even though they were not there when we started our descent. I try to be civil with her but she continues to scream out of control and I then took my students to another line and kept my cool. Another instructor from her shop later came to me and appoligized for her behavior, in addition, most of the other dive shops at the quarry came to me and told me similar stories about her. I have to wonder if this is the same instructor who assaulted you! If I was a student in this situation, I may have panicked. I think, at the very least, she should be reported to her organization!

Ok So what the deal, what happened, did this get resolved?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom