Question re: Gas Compressor Exhaust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Last question (for today at least...:D).

I'm running a gas-engine Bauer Oceanus. I got the gas version so I can take it with me on the road for top-offs (which has come in handy). I have it on a flat dolly and pull it just outside of my large garage door when I operate it. I just made a nitrox stick and attached it to my mixing panel so the compressor's air input is now permanently inside the garage (just inside the big door). Now I'd like to operate the compressor inside the garage but would like to run the exhaust outside. I still plan on opening the big garage door when I run the compressor in case of CO buildup.

My question is: How can I divert the exhaust from the engine? I seem to recall seeing in my ex-father-in-laws motor-home a flexible thick aluminum tape-covered hose (probably laden with asbestos!) funneling the exhaust from the gas generator to a vent on one side of the bus. I've checked RV supply places and can't seem to find anything like that. I would ask him but he's my "ex" Father-in-Law...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Would one of those clothes dryer hoses work or a/c duct?

Thanks for the suggestions but I think that they would either melt or catch on fire. I'm pretty sure that a dryer vents out air at maybe 200 degrees F while I'm guessing that an engine exhaust can get up to about 1000 degrees F. I'm also thinking A/C ducts are designed for low flow cooler air and to insulate it from the exterior not vice versa.

Great! I think that's what I need! The only thing I need to consider is whether piping the exhaust will create too much back pressure. But I don't think that a 2-3 foot length will be that much of a big deal. I know there are some Engineers out there!

Try your local wood/pellet stove dealer. They often carry flexible exhaust piping in varying diameters for DIY installers. I got some 3" stuff for mine a couple of years back (chimney liner) and just had to affix a tin funnel and cut the small end to fit the exhaust tube. Ran about $30 then. Looks like the same length is a bit more today. Mine only gets hot for about three feet and then no problems.

A friend of mine has his emergency generator enclosed and he used plain pipe screwed in where the muffler would go and vented it outside the enclosure. It works fine and I imagine the concept would work on a compressor as well.

Back
Top Bottom