Two piece vs One piece Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTH2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is better a two piece for versatility or a one piece. Just asking for some thoughts

I had all 2 piece suits before I went dry.

The only downside I had was increased buoyancy over a 1 piece.

It depends on what were talking about. Are you referring to a two piece as a farmer john and long sleeve jacket or a full one piece suit with a short sleeve shorty or vest over it? I am not particularly fond of the farmer john and jacket style because if you wear only one of the pieces than you do not have full body coverage.... either your arms or your legs are exposed. I do however like the full jumpsuit with a short sleeve shorty over it. I use my 3mm full suit by its self when I dive in tropical waters and when I need more warmth I add my short sleeve shorty over the top. Now I have 6 mm in my chest and torso. I can also wear my shorty by it's self when I am surfing or boogie boarding and the water is chilly. I think it really depends on what type of diving you are doing. For me the two pieces works good because I have versatility with out having to buy many different thickness jumpsuits. My suit is also custom made so my shorty fits well over my jumpsuit.

I'd ask what are you trying to achieve by going for a 2 piece?
extra warmth?
ease of movement?

I've dived with a farmer-john 2 piece jacket setup as well as a one piece. The farmer-john wasn't the most comfortable out of the water... but once wet, it was wasn't too bad. Then there are two pieces to worry about packing before a dive trip....

For my wetsuit I when with a full 1 piece with a 3/5mm mix. 5mm on the torso (for warmth) and 3mm on the arms and legs (for flexibility). I went for a front zip so that I can get in and out of it easily. It works for me and at the end of the day.... that's really all that matters :)

Last edited:
JTH2711

The main reason for the 2 piece configuration is to get 2X on your core. For cold water that's usually 7mm +7 mm.

I happen to prefer a 1 piece full suit augmented with some form of hooded vest.

Many divers are still fond of the John and jacket sets, usually worn with a bibbed hood. I don't think that they keep the water out as well but that's my opinion. Some like the fact that they can wear the jacket or john alone. If the fit is right I guess there is some value there. However If I'm wearing a 7mm jacket I'm apt to want the bottom. Like wise for the bottom, if I want to wear a 7mm bottom I surely want better upper body protection. These of course do extend down to the thinner materials and in those cases probably offer more utility.

I suggest thinking in terms of optimal, not versatility. You are heading towards a neoprene wardrobe. There is no suit for all seasons.

You can read the long version of the answer here.

Pete

I was primarily talking about Farmer John and Jacket combo. One of my problems is budgetary concerns. I just do not think I can afford at this juncture three, or more wetsuits. Cold is not really something I am real worried about. My body temp tends to run higher than most and I retain it longer. I understand the value of full coverage to protect from scrapes and stings. I'm just considering lots options and was curious about your thoughts and advice. Thank you very much for your advice.

JTH2711
I suggest thinking in terms of optimal, not versatility. You are heading towards a neoprene wardrobe. There is no suit for all seasons.
SCUBA Knowtes, Exposure Protection - Wetsuits

I tend to agree with Pete there, and that long winded article as well. :)

If you are "hot" blooded and usually exclusively dive warmer waters then you are luckier than most. Choose a wetsuit that matches your dive locations.

So if that is water waters you could get away with a 3/5mm full one piece or even only a farmer-john (with a rash vest) will be sufficient.

If one day you decide that warm waters are no longer your cup of tea.... then you can add a hood/step-in/hooded vest) to the one piece and add a jacket to the farmer-john.

This seems to be the best options for you moving forward IMHO, as it gives you the protection you desire now with the ability to easily adapt to colder conditions further down the line without having to throw away the previous purchase or have it going mouldy in the cupboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom