Apeks DS4 v DST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying the Apeks XTX50 in a Din version. I am wondering what the pros and cons are for buying the DS4 first stage vs. the DST model with the rotating turret . Anyone?

The DS4 has only one HP port which will dictate the orientation of the first stage, not really a big deal IMO.

The DST has two HP ports, but also has the rotating turret for the LP ports which means an additional dynamic o-ring that could fail, though I've been told by two reg techs that most leaks are the slow type (tiny stream of bubbles). Many of the people who point out the additional "failure point" in the DST don't seem to have any problem with the MK25 which also has its LP ports on a swivel. :shrug:

My chief complaint for using a DST for single tank diving was that turret allowed the LP hoses to "float" or shift around at the worst time, when I was gearing up on a pitching charter boat. The guy who bought mine was going to use it for a dedicated deco bottle, where the swivel is an advantage in terms of how the LP hose routes.

FWIW, my top choices for Apeks would be either the FST (XTX100) or FSR (XTX200) first stages for diving singles or doubles, due to the improved hose routing. Or the MK17 from Scubapro. But if cost was an overriding concern, I'd go with the DS4. YMMV.

I agree with the above, the turret just isn't needed, I use the DS4's. For a single tank the reg sits with the rubber end down and I have the hoses rigged like this.....

Upper right-side LP port: Primary on a longhose
Lower right-side LP port: Octo on a necklace
Upper left-side LP post: LP inflator
Lower left-side LP port: Blank
And of course the SPG on the single HP port

As mentioned for single tank rigs the FSR has slightly better hose routing due to the shape, the hoses route to the sides, for doubles it almost doesn't matter. The second stages are identical except for the label and the first stages are very close to identical internally, they even use the same rebuild kit. For dives much deeper than recreational limits the FSR is slightly preferred by some people, though the DS4 is fine also.

I just ordered another DS4 yesterday, have been buying them from Diveinn, and for $350US shipped I'm damn happy with them. They sell without hoses which has been a good excuse to try the new Miflex Extreme and I can recommend them too.

Enjoy!

I own a XTX200 and want to do doubles in the future, do you recommend I pick up another XTX200 or get two DS4 with XTX50 regs?

The XTX200 reg with first stage looks much more bulky than the DS4. I mostly see the DS4 type size regs on doubles and don't see the XTX200 as a doubles setup.

Is there a reason for this?

MG

The FSR (200) 1st stage is a little lighter & less bulky than a DS4 or FST 1st. I use FSR's on my doubles, but if I was going to do it all over, I'd not bother with the FSR's & get DS4's all round.

I use a DS4 on one post and DST on the other post of my doubles. It makes the hose routing nice and clean. I really didn't plan it that way. When I bought my ATX50, I assumed it came with a DS4, but it didn't. So that is why I have a mismatch. I haven't had any issues yet with the turret.

I own a XTX200 and want to do doubles in the future, do you recommend I pick up another XTX200 or get two DS4 with XTX50 regs?

The XTX200 reg with first stage looks much more bulky than the DS4. I mostly see the DS4 type size regs on doubles and don't see the XTX200 as a doubles setup.

Is there a reason for this?
The FSTs first stages route better than the DS4s for doubles. The hose bends for DS4s can get a little cramped for certain types of tanks and manifolds.

I recently changed the hoses on the inflator out of my right post & the secondary 2nd from the left post due to the reasonably tight bend in both hoses. Thought I'd try out some Miflex. They look the part, but only time will tell.

I really don't see that much difference in the routing on any of these 1st stages for doubles, including the Tech 3. They all seem to have the same hard turn for the hoses I'v mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom